- Title: New interior, ecology ministers take office after French reshuffle
- Date: 7th July 2020
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (JULY 7, 2020) (REUTERS) INCOMING FRENCH ECOLOGY MINISTER, BARBARA POMPILI, ARRIVING AT MINISTRY FOR HANDOVER CEREMONY, GREETING OUTGOING ECOLOGY MINISTER AND INCOMING LABOUR MINISTER, ELISABETH BORNE, AND JUNIOR MINISTERS, GOING INSIDE EXTERIOR OF ECOLOGY MINISTRY CIVIL SERVANTS WAITING FOR CEREMONY FLOWERS / MINISTERS WALKING TOWARDS PODIUM CIVIL SERVANTS LISTENING TO SPEECH (SOUNDBITE) (French) INCOMING FRENCH ECOLOGY MINISTER, BARBARA POMPILI, SAYING: "We will be working at a time of profound crisis, a health crisis, the worst of which seems to be behind us for the moment, but which is progressing elsewhere in the world and which we need to be prepared for by adapting our health system but also by incorporating environmental safety in our policy decisions. A health and economic crisis, the first effects of which we can see and which require action from everyone. The country and Europe have reacted with incredible efficiency and the government will work over the coming weeks on an economic renewal package and ecology must be at the heart of it." BORNE, JUNIOR MINISTERS APPLAUDING / CIVIL SERVANTS BORNE LEAVING POMPILI CLAPPING
- Embargoed: 21st July 2020 10:41
- Keywords: French government cabinet handovers ministries reshuffle
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Reuters ID: LVA003CLT8MDJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Ministers at crucial departments in the French coronavirus recovery including finance and ecology officially took office on Tuesday (July 7) after a government reshuffle.
Handover ceremonies at the Interior, Finance and Ecology ministries marked a shake-up of President Emmanuel Macron's cabinet, which started after the appointment of Prime Minister Jean Castex on Friday.
Gerald Darmanin, who served as budget minister in the previous cabinet, took the place of Christophe Castaner at the Interior Ministry, handing his old job to Finance Minister Bruno Le Maire who now runs a beefed-up department.
"My roadmap is clear and it's simple: it will be economic revival in the morning, economic revival at lunchtime, and economic revival in the evening," Le Maire said during a handover ceremony.
Meanwhile, Barbara Pompili took over at the Ecology Ministry from Elisabeth Borne, who will now head up the Labour Ministry. Pompili said environmental policies should be incorporated in the recovery plan.
Macron's reshuffle came days after voters punished his party in local elections, and the president and Castex are putting the focus on tackling the pandemic's social and economic fallout, and the environment.
(Production: Johnny Cotton, Ardee Napolitano)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None