- Title: Chile's coronavirus cases toll tops 300,000, surpassing Spain and UK
- Date: 7th July 2020
- Summary: SANTIAGO, CHILE (JULY 7, 2020) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) DOCTOR SPECIALIST IN PUBLIC HEALTH, CRISTIAN GARCIA, SAYING: "The percentage of positivity is around 18% according to the latest data. It remains quite high compared to the ideal percentage to start easing quarantine restrictions in our country." VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WALKING AT LOCAL FOOD MARKET
- Embargoed: 21st July 2020 21:54
- Keywords: COVID-19 Chile Spain UK cases coronavirus health
- Location: SANTIAGO, CHILE
- City: SANTIAGO, CHILE
- Country: Chile
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Reuters ID: LVA005CLTAYX3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Chile's health ministry on Tuesday (July 7) reported 2,462 more cases from the novel coronavirus, bringing the total to 301,019; overtaking Spain and the United Kingdom in infections.
The Latin American country currently ranks #6 in the world for COVID-19 cases, behind Peru and Russia.
Despite the number of cases, the country's Health Minister Enrique Paris said on Tuesday the most recent figures pointed to a "slight improvement in the pandemic."
Chilean authorities also announced that they are preparing a plan to gradually begin easing the quarantine.
Up to now, the virus has seemingly exploded in Chile, prompting health officials to lock down the capital Santiago, the country's economic engine, and force nearly 10 million of its citizens into quarantine.
So far Chile has reported 6,434 deaths due to COVID-19.
(Production: Esteban Medel, Jorge Vega, Liamar Ramos)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None