- Title: UK to nominate ex-minister Liam Fox as WTO boss - Spectator
- Date: 8th July 2020
- Summary: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND (FILE - JULY 20, 2017) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** (SOUNDBITE) (English) BRITISH INTERNATIONAL TRADE SECRETARY, LIAM FOX, SAYING: "So it's in everybody's interest to maintain market access. And you can paint all sorts of negative scenarios and worst-case scenarios. We are aiming for a much better result than that." FOX DURING INTERVIEW (SOUNDBITE) (English) BRITISH INTERNATIONAL TRADE SECRETARY, LIAM FOX, SAYING: "The WTO is the basis on which we trade with most of our trading partners and it works well for us. But of course, we would want to replicate as best we can the current open trading relationship we have with the European Union. That works for both of us. It works for our citizens.'' FOX BEING INTERVIEWED PARIS, FRANCE (FILE - JULY 7, 2017) (REUTERS) FOX BEING INTERVIEWED (SOUNDBITE) (French) BRITISH INTERNATIONAL TRADE SECRETARY, LIAM FOX, SAYING: "We've always said that we wanted to have minimal disruption and maximum continuity until we reached a final agreement and that's perfectly reasonable that people should want to have some transitional period. But we can't have a perpetual transitional period undermining the concept of Brexit itself." EXTERIOR OF BRITISH AMBASSADOR'S RESIDENCE IN FRANCE (SOUNDBITE) (French) BRITISH INTERNATIONAL TRADE SECRETARY, LIAM FOX, SAYING: "Well, if the deal is ratified before we leave the European Union we would simply transitionally adopt that into UK law. If it's not ratified by the time we leave the European Union and has no force in UK law, it will then be a new free trade agreement." WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES (FILE - JULY 24, 2017) (REUTERS) FOX AND U.S. TRADE REPRESENTATIVE ROBERT LIGHTHIZER (RIGHT) SHAKING HANDS MEETING ON BRITISH - U.S. COMMERCIAL TIES IN PROGRESS VARIOUS OF FOX SMILING AND LISTENING GENEVA, SWITZERLAND (FILE - JULY 20, 2017) (REUTERS) WORLD TRADE ORGANISATION DIRECTOR GENERAL ROBERTO AZEVEDO AND FOX SHAKING HANDS AND POSING FOR PHOTO AZEVEDO AND FOX LEAVING AND GOING TO MEETING ROOM LIAM FOX AND DELEGATES TAKING SEAT IN MEETING ROOM
- Embargoed: 22nd July 2020 09:50
- Keywords: Brexit Brexit agreement Brexit draft deal British minister EU European Union Liam Fox Tory party conservatives parliament single market
- Location: VARIOUS
- City: VARIOUS
- Country: Various
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA003CLY9BGN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Britain will nominate former cabinet minister Liam Fox to be the new chief of the World Trade Organization, a journalist for the Spectator political magazine said on Wednesday (July 8).
"Understand the UK will nominate Liam Fox to be Director General of the World Trade Organization," Spectator political editor James Forsyth said on Twitter, without elaborating.
Fox, a supporter of Brexit, served as Britain's trade secretary under the administration of former prime minister Theresa May.
(Production: Soraya Ali, Vanessa Romeo, Bharati Naik)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None