- Title: Tokyo 2020 expects to secure all venues for Games - local media
- Date: 9th July 2020
- Summary: TOKYO, JAPAN (FILE - DECEMBER 15, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS EXTERIORS OF NATIONAL STADIUM VARIOUS INTERIORS OF NATIONAL STADIUM SAPPORO, JAPAN (FILE - APRIL 10, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS EXTERIORS OF SAPPORO DOME, WHICH WILL HOST SOCCER MATCHES DURING OLYMPICS TOKYO, JAPAN (FILE - NOVEMBER 21, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS EXTERIORS OF AQUATICS CENTRE, WHICH WILL HOST SWIMMING AND DIVING DURING OLYMPICS VARIOUS INTERIORS OF AQUATICS CENTRE TOKYO, JAPAN (FILE - JANUARY 15, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF TOKYO 2020 TICKETS ON DISPLAY
- Embargoed: 23rd July 2020 08:17
- Keywords: Japan Olympics Paralympics Tokyo 2020 coronavirus postpone sport tickets venues
- Location: TOKYO/SAPPORO, JAPAN
- City: TOKYO/SAPPORO, JAPAN
- Country: Japan
- Topics: Olympics,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA003CM369FJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Tokyo Olympics organisers expect to be able to use all the venues as originally planned at next year's rearranged Games, several Japanese media outlets reported on Thursday (July 9).
Securing venues was a top priority for organisers after the Games were pushed back to 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and Kyodo and NHK, citing unnamed sources, said they were now confident they would be tied down for Olympics use again.
However, at his regular weekly news conference, Tokyo 2020 spokesman Masa Takaya said the reports were "optimistic" and that nothing had been announced.
Last month, Tokyo 2020 CEO Toshiro Muto said 80% of all venues needed had been secured, with the Athlete's Village and Tokyo Big Sight, the planned media centre, among those yet to be fully secured.
Thursday's reports also said the competition schedule would remain largely unchanged and that all tickets holders would be eligible for refunds, and that organisers would seek approval of these decisions from the IOC's General Assembly on July 17.
Asked to confirm those details, Takaya said nothing had been decided and Tokyo 2020 did not expect to seek approval from the IOC next week.
(Production: Jack Tarrant)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None