- Title: DRC police clash with protesters over election chief appointment
- Date: 9th July 2020
- Summary: KINSHASA, DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO (JULY 9, 2020) (REUTERS) POLICE VEHICLE DRIVING AT PROTESTERS, OFFICER FIRING RUBBER BULLET FROM VEHICLE / PROTESTERS FLEEING POLICE RUNNING, PINK SMOKE RISING POLICE OFFICER KICKING PROTESTER, PROTESTER RUNNING AWAY PROTESTERS PULLING DOWN WALL OF THE PPRD BUILDING (PEOPLE'S PARTY FOR RECONSTRUCTION AND DEMOCRACY), FORMER PRESIDENT JOSEPH KABILA'S PARTY PROTESTERS PULLING DOWN BUILDING WALL PROTESTERS THROWING OBJECTS AT BUILDING BUILDING ON FIRE AND POLICE ARRIVING PEOPLE PULLING DOWN THE ROOF OF THE BUILDING (SOUNDBITE) (French) PROTESTER AND UNION FOR DEMOCRACY AND SOCIAL PROGRESS (UDPS) SUPPORTER, HUGUE MATA, SAYING: ''We have come to protest against Ronsard Malonda at the CENI (Independent Electoral Commission), we are calling on the European Union and the international community to take away this cacophony created by Mr. (Joeseph) Kabila and his FCC (Common Front for Congo) coalition. Kabila and his FCC are blocking the system, they prefer putting in place Ronsard Malonda in the CENI to block us in the 2023 elections. that is one of the reasons that the UDPS has been created to defend the interests of the people and fight all that is against what we value." POLICE AMONGST PROTESTERS, FIRE PROTESTERS DESTROYING WALLS OF PPRD BUILDING, SMOKE RISING (SOUNDBITE) (Lingala) PROTESTER AND UDPS SUPPORTER, TRESOR MWAMBA, SAYING: ''The FCC automatically have a majority in the parliament but they have forgotten about the majority of the people, they have forgotten the people's court. The people are taking control! Look! Look! what the people are doing. That is the people's justice, this is consent, and we say NO to Malonda." POLICE VEHICLE AMONGST THE PROTESETERS MARCHING WITH THEIR ARMS UP PINK SMOKE FROM POLICE POLICE WALKING POLICE WALKING NEXT TO POLICE VEHICLE (SOUNDBITE) (French) PROTESTER AND UDPS SUPPORTER, JONATHAN MAYELE, SAYING: ''We are here because we are not going to let an unjust law go through and we will not accept people put forward by the FCC. The Congolese and the UDPS have come out in the street to express their discontent, we are not surprised to see the police who are supposed to protect us attacking us instead with real bullets." POLICE RUNNING TOWARDS PROTESTERS PROTESTERS GATHERED, SMOKE RISING PROTESTERS RUNNING, POLICE FIRING TEAR GAS (AUDIO OF SHOTS) VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS SHOUTING AT POLICE BLOCKING ROAD VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS GATHERED BEHIND BARRIER TO BLOCK ROAD VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS MARCHING NEAR THE PARLIAMENT MORE OF THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE WITH FLAGS ON THE ROAD PROTESTERS WITH UDPS FLAG PROTESTERS HOLDING UP A SIGN READING (French) 'The 2016 Collective rejects Ronsard Malonda at the head of the CENI" VARIOUS OF MAN WITH PLACARD READING (French) 'No to taking the country's institutions hostage. Stop Malonda''
- Embargoed: 23rd July 2020 16:35
- Keywords: CENI Democratic Repbulic of Congo PPRD Protests UPDS coronavirus
- Location: KINSHASA, DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO
- City: KINSHASA, DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO
- Country: Congo, Democratic Republic of the
- Reuters ID: LVA001CM3907B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Police fired tear gas at demonstrators in Kinshasa where thousands marched against the appointment of new independent electoral commission (CENI) chairman Ronsard Malonda on Thursday (July 9).
In the Democratic of Congo's capital, demonstrators tore down the walls of one of the offices of former president Joseph Kabila's PPRD (People's Party for Reconstrucion and Democracy).
Protesters also marched towards the parliament building before being dispersed by police firing with tear gas.
President Felix Tshisekedi has not yet approved Malonda who was voted in by the National Assembly controlled by supporters of Kabila.
One opposition party has accused Malonda of helping former president Kabila rig elections.
Tshisekedi's Union for Democracy and Progress (UDPS) called for the protest with thousands turning out despite authorities banning protests and mass gatherings in light of the coronavirus pandemic.
(Production: Benoit Nyemba, Yvonne Bell, Aiden Nulty)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None