- Title: Russian city marches in support of detained regional governor
- Date: 11th July 2020
- Summary: KHABAROVSK, RUSSIA (JULY 11, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS MARCHING WITH PLACARDS AND CHANTING (Russian): "FREEDOM" WOMAN IN MASK HANDING OUT PLACARDS READING (Russian): "I/WE ARE SERGEI FURGAL" PROTESTERS MARCHING (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) FORMER HEAD OF OKHINSKY CITY DISTRICT, SERGEI GUSEV, SAYING: "As you know, Sergei Ivanovich Furgal was arrested on (July) 9. We have come to demonstrate against his arrest, we have come to support the position he took in the Khabarovsk region. What's going on in Russia is completely outrageous. We have become a totalitarian society and the repressions of 1937-1939." VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS IN STREET MAN WAVING FLAG AND POINTING AT T-SHIRT PROTESTERS STANDING BY WALL (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) PROTESTER, NAME NOT GIVEN, SAYING: "I'm sick of it, how much more can we take? We chose (our governor) and Putin got scared. Now, he'll imprison any opponent to his authority. He's reset everything (number of terms). I'll tell you this, I'm a free person in my own country and we have the right to be heard." PROTESTER HOLDING PLACARD READING (Russian): "I/WE ARE SERGEI FURGAL" AND SAYING (Russian): "WE'RE FOR JUSTICE" / PROTESTERS CHANTING (Russian): "FREEDOM" PROTESTERS HOLDING KHABAROVSK FLAG MAN HOLDING PLACARD READING (Russian): "LET FURGAL GO" PROTESTERS STANDING BY THE SIDE OF THE ROAD (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) PROTESTER, NAME NOT GIVEN, SAYING: "I support the Khabarovsk governor Sergei Ivanovich Furgal who made the city and region for us. I support the governor, he did everything for us, including orphanages. I'm here as a disabled person. He improved the roads, everything he did was for us. I think that Putin removed him." WOMAN TAKING PICTURE WITH PHONE VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS WALKING ON STREET MOSCOW, RUSSIA (JULY 10, 2020) (REUTERS) PEOPLE STANDING OUTSIDE BASMANNY COURT BASMANNY COURT SIGN
- Embargoed: 25th July 2020 12:59
- Keywords: Khabarovsk governor Sergei Furgal protest
- Location: KHABAROVSK AND MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- City: KHABAROVSK AND MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Judicial Process/Court Cases/Court Decisions
- Reuters ID: LVA001CMD7CJR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Thousands marched in Russia's far eastern city of Khabarovsk on Saturday (July 11) in support of its regional governor, who is being held in pre-trial detention after being charged with organizing the murder of several entrepreneurs 15 years ago.
Sergei Furgal, a member of the Liberal Democratic Party, was a popular governor of the Khabarovsk region where he swept to power in 2018 after defeating a rival from the ruling United Russia party that backs President Vladimir Putin.
Furgal was detained on Thursday (July 9) and taken to Moscow.
He could face up to life in prison if found guilty of the charges that include attempted murder. He denies the charges.
Video footage from news website DVHAB showed people chanting "Furgal is our choice," "Freedom" and marching with posters "I am/We are Sergei Furgal."
"Get out of here, Moscow," an unnamed female resident said in another video from the same website, which claimed the protest was the largest in Khabarovsk's history.
(Production: Yuri Zolotorev, Alexander Reshetnikov, Peter Scott)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None