- Title: Safety first for Spaniards voting amid new coronavirus outbreaks
- Date: 12th July 2020
- Summary: DURANGO, SPAIN (JULY 12, 2020) (REUTERS) PEOPLE WEARING MASK QUEUING TO VOTE IN BASQUE COUNTRY REGIONAL ELECTION, WOMAN VOTING PEOPLE WEARING MASKS TAKING BALLOT PAPERS WOMAN VOTING BASQUE COUNTRY REGIONAL LEADER INIGO URKULLU WEARING MASK AND DISINFECTING HANDS AT PUBLIC SCHOOL ENTRANCE, WHERE THE POLLING STATION IS LOCATED URKULLU POSING FOR MEDIA AND WAITING TO VOTE URKULLU VOTING (SOUNDBITE)(Spanish) BASQUE COUNTRY REGIONAL LEADER, INIGO URKULLU, SAYING: "It's proved that despite circumstances we are living now, it is safe to vote, therefore my first message is security and respect for what voters decide. The decision of voters about the Basque Country's future is going to mean that the Basque Country will get back on its feet. I know that the Basque Country will get out of this crisis again, as always." VARIOUS OF PEOPLE DISINFECTING HANDS AT POLLING STATION ENTRANCE VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WEARING MASK TALKING AT POLLING STATION POLLING STATION WORKERS KEEPING SOCIAL DISTANCE RIBADEO, SPAIN (JULY 12, 2020) (REUTERS) POLLING STATION WORKERS WEARING PLASTIC FACE SHIELD AND KEEPING DISTANCE POLLING STATION WORKERS WEARING PLASTIC FACE SHIELD, MAN WEARING MASK VOTING NUN WEARING MASK VOTING POLLING STATION MAN CONTROLLING ENTRANCE AT POLLING STATION MAN HOLDING ENVELOPE WITH VOTE MAN ENTERING POLLING STATION DURANGO, SPAIN (JULY 12, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF BALLOT PAPERS POLLING STATION RIBADEO, SPAIN (JULY 12, 2020) (REUTERS) POLICE OUTSIDE POLLING STATION
- Embargoed: 26th July 2020 10:24
- Keywords: Basque Country Bilbao Spain coronavirus election pandemic politics virus
- Location: DURANGO & RIBADEO, SPAIN
- City: DURANGO & RIBADEO, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA001CMI7LTZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Voters in northern Spain wore face masks and used hand sanitiser gel before entering polling stations on Sunday (July 12) as Galicia and the Basque Country held regional elections while fighting localized outbreaks of COVID-19.
The polls are the first in Spain since the country began a strict lockdown to curb the spread of the coronavirus in early March. Both were postponed from April because of the pandemic.
Bilbao, the Basque region's largest city, has increased the number of polling stations by 25% to ensure social distancing can be maintained. Voters and polling station workers are required to wear facial protection and wash their hands.
Authorities have said more than 460 people across the two regions who recently tested positive for the coronavirus will be unable to vote. People awaiting test results are also barred from leaving their homes.
Local health officials have confirmed at least 161 COVID-19 cases in the Basque Country and more than 300 in Galicia.
While postal ballots are allowed, authorities could not say how many people in isolation had made such arrangements.
Fresh coronavirus outbreaks have triggered local lockdowns in the Basque Country, Galicia and Catalonia.
(Production: Vincent West, Miguel Vidal, Guillermo Martinez, Elena Rodriguez)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None