- Title: Chile to start COVID-19 vaccine clinical trials in August
- Date: 17th July 2020
- Summary: SANTIAGO, CHILE (RECENT - 2020) (REUTERS) MAN TAKING RAPID COVID-19 TEST VARIOUS OF HEALTH WORKER TAKING BLOOD SAMPLE PEOPLE WAITING TO TAKE RAPID COVID-19 TEST
- Embargoed: 31st July 2020 20:32
- Keywords: COVID-19 Chile coronavirus deaths health vaccine
- Location: SANTIAGO, CHILE
- City: SANTIAGO, CHILE
- Country: Chile
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Reuters ID: LVA001CN74WG7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Chile's Health Ministry announced on Friday (July 17) that the first trials of COVID-19 vaccines will begin in early August on some 3,000 human subjects.
Health Minister Enrique Paris said that the three vaccines that will be trialled are from Sinovac Biotech in China, CanSino Biologics in China and AstraZeneca with the University of Oxford in the UK.
According to the World Health Organization, 163 COVID-19 vaccines are being developed around the world, and 23 of them had started clinical trials involving humans. But only two have reached Phase 3 which requires large-scale trials with thousands of individuals to assess the efficacy and safety of the vaccine.
In Chile, the number of coronavirus cases rose to 326,539, after 2,840 new cases were confirmed in the last 24 hours.
As the number of deaths from the pandemic rose to 8,347, after adding another 98 deaths since Thursday.
The Latin American country currently ranks #6 in the world for COVID-19 cases, behind Peru and Russia.
(Production: Esteban Medel, Kristin Neubauer, Liamar Ramos)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None