- Title: Pop star Britney Spears wants her dad out of the picture
- Date: 20th August 2020
- Summary: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (AUGUST 19, 2020) (REUTERS) GROUP OF SUPPORTERS OF POP STAR BRITNEY SPEARS MARCHING, HOLDING 'FREE BRITNEY' BANNER AND CHANTING (English): 'WHAT DO WE WANT? FREE BRITNEY. WHEN DO WE WANT IT? NOW' (SOUNDBITE) BRITNEY SPEARS SUPPORTER TIMOTHY (LAST NAME NOT GIVEN), 26, LIVES IN MINNEAPOLIS AND FLEW IN FOR RALLY, SAYING: "I'm here to support Britney's freedom. I believe that she deserves her basic civil rights and, you know, to be able to spend her money on her terms. You know, she's been working since, I want to say 11 years old, very hard, multiple tours, yet it's all about greed and power and yet she doesn't have the access and the rights to make her own decisions. It's really sad." BRITNEY SPEARS SUPPORTER MEGAN RADFORD AT RALLY (SOUNDBITE) (English) BRITNEY SPEARS SUPPORTER MEGAN RADFORD, 33, LIVES IN OKLAHOMA CITY AND FLEW IN FOR RALLY, SAYING: "Really, I don't think anyone should be in control of her life, other than Britney Spears herself." WOMAN WITH SIGN READING (English): 'BRITNEY IS NOT YOUR SLAVE' VARIOUS OF PEOPLE GATHERED AT RALLY (SOUNDBITE) (English) BRITNEY SPEARS SUPPORTER LAURIE DELGADO, 59, LIVES IN SANTA MONICA, SAYING: "Just because she's a celebrity, you know, no-one has the right or invitation to isolate her and tell her what she can do. You know, what type of judge says you can't have your own attorney? You know, who does that? A lot of her rights are being taken away and she needs to be having her own team of people that are looking out for her. The judicial system that's supposed to look out for her, they're not looking out for her."
- Keywords: Britney Spears Los Angeles conservatorship fans pop singer rally
- Reuters ID: LVA001CRX20JX
- Location: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- City: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Duration: 00:01:51
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Music
- Story Text: Britney Spears wants her father to be removed as the person that controls her business and personal affairs in a major change to her 12-year court-appointed conservatorship.
Ahead of a court hearing in Los Angeles on Wednesday (August 19), the 38-year-old pop star's lawyer filed documents saying the singer is "strongly opposed to having James (Spears) return as conservator of her person." The document gave no reasons for her stance.
Jamie Spears was appointed conservator in 2008 after the pop star's life spiraled out of control and she was hospitalized for psychiatric treatment.
The long conservatorship for the former teen pop phenomenon has been the target of a vocal #FreeBritney campaign by fans. They believe she is being kept a prisoner and is sending cryptic signals begging to be freed through her social media accounts, which usually consist of selfies or her dancing at home.
Some of her fans demonstrated outside the downtown Los Angeles courthouse, holding 'Free Britney' banners and chanting 'Hey, hey, ho, ho, this conservatorship has got to go'.
Spears wants control over her affairs to be given to her care manager, Jodi Montgomery, who was made a temporary conservator last year after Jamie Spears suffered a bout of ill health, according to the court documents.
(Production: Alan Devall)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:3rd September 2020 00:14
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None