- Title: Rooftop garden in blockaded Gaza helps family get by
- Date: 4th March 2021
- Summary: KHAN YOUNIS, GAZA (MARCH 1, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PALESTINIAN FARMER, TAYSEER ABU DAN WATERING HIS PLANTS ON THE ROOFTOP OF HIS GARDEN ABU DAN TRIMMING GRAPE TREE VARIOUS OF ABU DAN WATERING PLANTS (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) PALESTINIAN FARMER, TAYSEER ABU DAN, SAYING: "I don't have a big piece of land so I am using every centimetre of my rooftop to plant one or two seedlings of vegetables. If I had land, I wouldn't put my home and life in danger by planting on the rooftop. I don't have enough capabilities to go and rent or buy (a piece of land), the situation doesn't allow me or my sons (to do that)." VARIOUS OF ABU DAN CLIMBING LADDER TO ROOFTOP ABU DAN CHECKING ON HIS PLANTS (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) PALESTINIAN FARMER, TAYSEER ABU DAN, SAYING: "I plant to make living, as I support 15 members (in my family): four married sons and I am their only supporter because there are no jobs in this country because the economic situation." VARIOUS OF ABU DAN CHECKING ON PLANTS ABU DAN HOLDING GREEN BEANS ABU DAN CHECKING ON A TREE (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) PALESTINIAN FARMER, TAYSEER ABU DAN, SAYING: "I plant two seasons during the year, a season in winter and a season in summer. During the winter season, I plant three (kinds of vegetables) in each container to make use of the place, because I don't have a wide space." ABU DAN CHECKING ON PLANTS (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) PALESTINIAN FARMER, TAYSEER ABU DAN, SAYING: (SOUNDBITE STARTS SHOWING PLANTS IN THE CONTAINER) "In the same container, I plant celery, cauliflower and beans." ABU DAN CHECKING ON CAULIFLOWER ABU DAN'S ROOFTOP GARDEN DRONE FOOTAGE SHOWING ABU DAN IN HIS ROOFTOP GARDEN (MUTE)
- Embargoed: 18th March 2021 09:54
- Keywords: Gaza Palestinians Rooftop Garden Unemployment
- Location: KHAN YOUNIS, GAZA
- City: KHAN YOUNIS, GAZA
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Living/Lifestyle,Middle East,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA001E2O3YAD
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A Palestinian farmer in Gaza is using his rooftop to grow produce which he sells to support his family.
65-year-old Tayseer Abu Dan, who lives in the Khan Younis refugee camp with 15-member family, relies on his plants and international aid to make a living. He and his four sons are unemployed "because of the economic situation", he said.
The farmer said he uses every inch of space available to him for his small project.
Abu Dan plants different kinds of vegetables on his rooftop, including tomatoes, beans, celery and cauliflower - some of which they also use at home.
The 365-sq km (141-sq miles) Gaza strip, controlled by Hamas, is home to around 2 million Palestinians. Israel and Egypt maintain restrictions along their borders with the enclave citing security concerns.
According to Palestinian and international records, unemployment in Gaza stands at 49 percent while poverty is estimated at around 53 percent.
(Production: Arafat Barbakh, Bassam Masoud, Mohammed Salem, Mustafa Abu Ganeyeh)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None