- Title: Palestinians in West Bank clash with Israeli forces as explosions hit Gaza
- Date: 13th May 2021
- Summary: GAZA CITY, GAZA (MAY 12, 2021) (REUTERS) GAZA SKYLINE EXPLOSIONS IN SKY OVER GAZA GAZA SKYLINE HEBRON, WEST BANK (MAY 12, 2021) (REUTERS) PALESTINIANS THROWING STONES TOWARDS ISRAELI FORCES DURING CLASHES ISRAELI SOLDIERS FIRING BULLETS TOWARDS PALESTINIANS SOLDIERS THROWING STUN GRENADE TOWARDS JOURNALISTS VARIOUS OF SOLDIERS FIRING BULLETS TOWARDS PALESTINIANS SOLDIERS TAKING POSITION PALESTINIANS THROWING STONES VARIOUS OF ISRAELI SOLDIERS IN POSITION PALESTINIAN THROWING STONES SOLDIERS IN POSITION TYRE ON FIRE PALESTINIAN STANDING BEHIND FIRE BETHLEHEM, WEST BANK (MAY 12, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PALESTINIANS THROWING STONES ISRAELI MILITARY VEHICLE FIRING TEAR GAS GRENADES TOWARDS PALESTINIANS PALESTINIANS THROWING STONES RAMALLAH, WEST BANK (MAY 12, 2021) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF PALESTINIAN PRESIDENTIAL COMPOUND PALESTINIAN FLAG OVER COMPOUND (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) PALESTINIAN PRESIDENT, MAHMOUD ABBAS, SAYING: "Jerusalem is a red line, Jerusalem is the heart of Palestine and its soul. No peace, security or stability until it is completely freed from the occupation." PALESTINIAN OFFICIALS DURING MEETING (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) PALESTINIAN PRESIDENT, MAHMOUD ABBAS, SAYING: "I direct my speech specifically to America and Israel, we are fed up, go away from us, leave us. We will stay like a thorn in your eyes, we will never leave our country, end your occupation today, before tomorrow. We will not repeat what happened in 1948 (when Palestinians forcibly fled their lands) nor what happened in 1967 (war), Sheikh Jarrah (Jerusalem neighbourhood) will not leave or calm or be quiet."
- Embargoed: 27th May 2021 00:34
- Keywords: Abbas Gaza Israel Palestinians West Bank clashes explosions
- Location: GAZA CITY, GAZA / GAZA BORDER / HEBRON, BETHLEHEM AND RAMALLAH, WEST BANK
- City: GAZA CITY, GAZA / GAZA BORDER / HEBRON, BETHLEHEM AND RAMALLAH, WEST BANK
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Middle East
- Reuters ID: LVA001ECNPNWN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Palestinians in the West Bank clashed with Israeli security forces on Wednesday (May 12) night as violence between Hamas and Israel showed no sign of abating.
Hamas launched rockets at Tel Aviv and toward Jerusalem early on Thursday (May 13) and Israel vowed to keep pummeling the Islamist faction in Gaza despite a prediction by U.S. President Joe Biden that their fiercest hostilities in years might end soon.
At least 65 people have been killed in Gaza since violence escalated on Monday (May 10), according to the enclave's health ministry. Six people have been killed in Israel, medical officials said.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Wednesday a Gaza City brigade commander and 15 other members of the Islamist militant group were killed in air strikes.
Israel launched its military action after Hamas fired rockets in retaliation for Israeli police clashes with Palestinians in East Jerusalem, including at a holy site during the fasting month of Ramadan. A Palestinian source said truce efforts by Egypt, Qatar and the United Nations had made no progress to end the violence.
"We are fed up, go away... leave us," Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas said on Wednesday during a televised speech, referring to Israel and the U.S. "We will stay like a thorn in your eyes, we will never leave our country."
(Production: Mohammed Shana, Yosri Al Jamal, Mohammad Abu Ganeyeh, Adel Abu Nemeh, Mustafa Abu Ganeyeh)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None