- Title: Gazans searching through debris after Israeli airstrike as violence intensifies
- Date: 12th May 2021
- Summary: KHAN YOUNIS, GAZA (MAY 12, 2021) (REUTERS) GAZA RESIDENTS AND RESCUE TEAMS SEARCHING THROUGH RUBBLE WOMAN SCREAMING BROKEN WINDOW VARIOUS OF PEOPLE AROUND BUILDIGN TARGETED BY ISRAELI AIRSTRIKE MAN SEARCHING THROUGH RUBBLE VARIOUS OF PARAMEDICS AT SITE OF AIRSTRIKE VARIOUS OF PEOPLE AT SITE OF AIRSTRIKE HOLE IN WALL POLICEMEN MOVING INJURED BOY TO HOSPITAL BED VARIOUS OF PEOPLE AROUND BURNT VEHICLE TARGETED BY ISRAELI AIRSTRIKE GAZA CITY, GAZA (MAY 12, 2021) (REUTERS) CLOUD OF BLACK SMOKE OVER GAZA
- Embargoed: 26th May 2021 16:42
- Keywords: Gaza Israel Palestinians West Bank airstrikes
- Location: KHAN YOUNIS AND GAZA CITY, GAZA
- City: KHAN YOUNIS AND GAZA CITY, GAZA
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Middle East
- Reuters ID: LVA001ECNPGSN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Israel said it killed 16 members of the Hamas military wing in a air strike on Gaza on Wednesday (May 12) and Palestinian militants rained rockets into Israel as global concern mounted over their most intense hostilities in years.
At least 53 people have been killed in Gaza since violence escalated on Monday, according to the Palestinian territory's health ministry. Six people have been killed in Israel, medical officials said.
Israel's Shin Bet security service said the brigade commander for Gaza City was among senior members of the Islamist militant group Hamas who had been killed.
Soon after the announcement, a new rocket barrage was fired at the Israeli city of Ashdod and Israeli media said the military was preparing for new salvoes on the Tel Aviv area.
Hamas confirmed the commander's death and the loss of "other leaders and warriors" and said in a statement: "Thousands of leaders and soldiers will follow in their footsteps.".
A Palestinian source said truce efforts by Egypt, Qatar and the United Nations had made no progress to end violence that flared this week after tension during the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan and clashes in East Jerusalem.
(Production: Bassam Masoud, Ibraheem Abu Mustafa, Mustafa Abu Ganeyeh)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None