- Title: Kevin Spacey set to return to film acting with cameo role - Variety
- Date: 24th May 2021
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE - JUNE 09, 2014) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** SPACEY ARRIVING AT RED CARPET PHOTOGRAPHERS SPACEY AT PHOTOCALL AND WAVING AT CROWDS LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE - FEBRUARY 26, 2015) (REUTERS) SPACEY SPEAKING TO REPORTER ON RED CARPET SPACEY INTERVIEW VARIOUS OF SPACEY POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHS
- Embargoed: 7th June 2021 12:53
- Keywords: Franco Nero House of Cards Kevin Spacey Vanessa Redgrave acting cameo film
- Location: VARIOUS
- City: VARIOUS
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Arts/Culture/Entertainment,Europe,Film
- Reuters ID: LVA007EEBMVKD
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Actor Kevin Spacey is about to make a comeback to film acting, with a cameo role in a low budget Italian feature, reports Variety.
The Oscar winning star, who largely disappeared from public view since being accused of sexual misconduct in 2017, will play a police detective in actor and director Franco Nero's movie.
The film's producer Louis Nero confirmed the news of Spacey's involvement in the film to Variety, which will star Franco Nero and possibly feature his wife, actress Vanessa Redgrave.
Variety reports that Franco Nero told ABC News: "I'm very happy Kevin agreed to participate in my film ...I consider him a great actor and I can't wait to start the movie." Spacey declined ABC News' and Variety's request for comment.
Spacey, once one of Hollywood's biggest stars, was dropped from TV show "House of Cards" and removed from the movie "All the Money in the World" after he was accused in 2017 of sexual misconduct by more than 20 men.
Responding to the first accusation, Spacey said he could not remember the encounter actor Anthony Rapp described from 30 years ago but apologized for what he said: "would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behavior." He also came out as gay.
Spacey denies all accusations of misconduct.
Prosecutors in Massachusetts in 2019 dropped criminal charges against Spacey of indecent assault and battery involving an 18-year-old man in a bar in 2016. Spacey had pleaded not guilty.
Last year a man in New York filed a lawsuit against the actor, alleging that Spacey sexually assaulted him at age 14 by in the 1980s, but in May a federal judge ruled that he must identify himself if he is to continue his $40 million civil lawsuit against Spacey.
The star, who won a best actor Academy Award for "American Beauty" in 2000 and best supporting actor in 1996 for ''The Usual Suspects'', was last seen in a movie in 2018's ''Billionaire Boys Club.''
(Production: Sarah Mills)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None