- Title: Environmental activists begin cycle protest to the G7
- Date: 1st June 2021
- Summary: SHOREHAM-BY-SEA, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (JUNE 1, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF ENVIRONMENTAL ACTIVISTS FROM THE BLOOMINâ€™ GREENWASH GROUP CYCLING IN CONVERTED BOAT ACTIVISTS CYCLING VARIOUS OF ACTIVIST TYING CYMBALS ONTO BIKE EXTINCTION REBELLION SYMBOL ON T-SHIRT BOAT RENOVATOR AND CLIMATE CHANGE ACTIVIST, HAMISH MCKENZIE, NEXT TO RENOVATED BOAT BANNER ON BOAT READING (English): "PEDAL POWER REVOLUTION" (SOUNDBITE) (English) BOAT RENOVATOR AND CLIMATE CHANGE ACTIVIST, HAMISH MCKENZIE, SAYING: "This is our effort at reaching out to the people on the way, as much as anything, but we're aiming to cycle down to Cornwall for the G7, to try and influence our august world leaders - who represent seven very powerful and rich countries - that it's the economy, which is what the G7 is really about, should come secondary to what is going to be a much bigger... climate change is really going to make COVID look like a stroll in the park. And I don't think people are frightened enough yet." CYCLING GEARS AND CHAIN INSIDE RENOVATED BOAT / ACTIVIST PREPARING BOAT (SOUNDBITE) (English) BOAT RENOVATOR AND CLIMATE CHANGE ACTIVIST, HAMISH MCKENZIE, SAYING: "I think (U.S. President Joe) Biden is probably the most welcome relief we've had for a long time. I say go with it - avoid the greenwash because the greenwash will kill us." ACTIVISTS STANDING BY BOAT (SOUNDBITE) (English) CYCLING CLIMATE CHANGE ACTIVIST, â€œJACK COUSTEAU,â€ SAYING: "I am not sure what else to do at this point, I think, so we're going down there to let the world leaders know that we're passionate about this cause. A lot of the places we're going to along the way are going to be underwater by the end of this century. So we're raising awareness as we go." VARIOUS OF ACTIVIST WEARING VEST WITH TEXT READING (English): "CYCLING IS THE CURE" (SOUNDBITE) (English) CYCLING CLIMATE CHANGE ACTIVIST, â€œJACK COUSTEAU,â€ SAYING: "Once we get there, we're going to be there for three days, joining in with other groups that are coming from all over the country to really raise awareness on the issue and to communicate our frustration to world leaders." SUN MCKENZIE CYCLING IN BOAT MCKENZIE AND ACTIVISTS MAKING FINAL PREPARATIONS TO BOAT ACTIVISTS BEGINNING CYCLE TO CORNWALL
- Embargoed: 15th June 2021 13:28
- Keywords: Carbis Bay Cornwall G7 summit activists climate change cycle environment environmentalists protest
- Location: SHOREHAM-BY-SEA, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: SHOREHAM-BY-SEA, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Climate Change,Environment,Europe,General News,Government / Politics,Climate Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001EFKLLJB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A self-described "travelling circus" of environmental activists on Tuesday (June 1) began a 10-day cycle to the G7 summit in southwest England, where it plans to remind global leaders of the dangers of climate change.
The Bloomin' Greenwash group began its journey in Shoreham-by-Sea, on the southeast coast, and will arrive at the summit venue of Carbis Bay in Cornwall on June 10.
Organisers plan to provide colourful entertainment to onlookers en route before staging a protest near the venue where the leaders of the UK, U.S., Canada, Italy, France, Germany and Japan will meet between June 11-13.
The group says it is trying to pressure the world's developed nations to take meaningful measures to reduce environmental damage as quickly as possible, while the word "greenwash" in its name is a reference to activities undertaken by companies to make their businesses appear more environmentally friendly than they really are.
(Production: Gerhard Mey, Ben Dangerfield)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None