- Title: Princess Diana to be honoured with statue on 60th birthday
- Date: 25th June 2021
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE - JULY 1, 1997) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** DIANA, ON HER 36TH BIRTHDAY, ARRIVING FOR TATE GALLERY CENTENARY GALA DINNER WEARING LONG BLACK EVENING GOWN, POSING FOR PHOTOS LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KING (FILE) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (REUTERS) EGYPTIAN FILM PRODUCER, DODI FAYED, LEAVING BUILDING AT AIRPORT AND GETTING INTO CAR ST TROPEZ, FRANCE (FILE - AUGUST 22, 1997) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (REUTERS) DIANA AND FAYED TRAVELLING IN SPEEDBOAT NEAR FAYED, FAMILY VILLA WHERE THEY WERE VACATIONING PHOTOGRAPHERS ENHANCED IMAGES OF BOAT SHOWING DIANA AND FAYED OLBIA, SARDINIA, ITALY (FILE - AUGUST 30, 1997) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (REUTERS) DIANA AND FAYED AT AIRPORT FOR FLIGHT TO PARIS, DIANA BOARDING PLANE
- Embargoed: 9th July 2021 02:00
- Keywords: 20th Anniversary Britain Channel 4 London Paris Prince Charles Prince Harry Prince William Princess Diana Royals TV documentary sex
- Location: VARIOUS
- City: VARIOUS
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Arts/Culture/Entertainment,Europe,Royals
- Reuters ID: LVA00GEIS2IX3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Britain's Princess of Wales, Diana, will be honoured with the unveiling of a statue next week on what would have been her 60th birthday (July 1).
The "People's Princess", as she was fondly known, was first wife of Prince Charles, the heir to the British throne.
She died aged 36 in Paris on August 31, 1997, after the limousine carrying her and lover Dodi Fayed crashed in a tunnel as it tried to escape paparazzi, who were chasing them on motorbikes.
Diana was just 19 when she was betrothed to Charles in 1981, but the marriage broke down prior to their eventual divorce in 1996.
The couple had two sons, Prince William and Prince Harry, both of whom are also no stranger to the spotlight.
Harry, who quit the UK and life as a senior royal alongside his U.S.-born wife Meghan in early 2020, will return to London for the statue's unveiling despite reports of a rift with his older brother.
However, Harry - now the Duke of Sussex - and William, the Duke of Cambridge, will reportedly form a united front to celebrate their mother's legacy.
Diana was known for her charity work, particularly in the fight on behalf of people with AIDS or landmine victims.
(Production: Ben Dangerfield)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None