- Title: Iraqi civilians flee areas of eastern Mosul
- Date: 27th December 2016
- Summary: NEAR BARTELLA, IRAQ (DECEMBER 27, 2016) (REUTERS) PEOPLE AT AN IRAQI ARMY CHECKPOINT NEAR BARTELLA VARIOUS OF DISPLACED IRAQIS WAITING TO BE TRANSPORTED TO CAMPS CHILDREN WAITING AT CHECKPOINT VARIOUS OF WOMEN AND CHILDREN WAITING CARS DRIVING THROUGH CHECKPOINT (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) SPOKESMAN FOR RAPID RESPONSE UNIT, LT COL ABDELAMIR MOHAMMEDAWI, SAYING: "Dozens of families have fled from the Intisar, Zuhoor and Karama neighbourhoods as a result of random shelling perpetrated by Daesh (a commonly used Arabic acronym for Islamic State) that targeted these areas. So we decided to halt our operations (in east Mosul) this morning in order to secure a safe route for these families. After we did so, dozens of families left." PARKED BUSES WAITING TO TAKE DISPLACED PEOPLE TO CAMPS VARIOUS OF IRAQIS APPROACHING AND LOADING BUSES (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) DISPLACED MAN WHO FLED INTISAR NEIGHBOURHOOD OF MOSUL, ABU MUSTAFA, SAYING: "We escaped death, we left through the Wehda neighbourhood until we found the army's ninth division, who brought us here. We left everything, our homes and belongings. Life under Daesh was bad, they treated us poorly, no-one had any money. We are taking our children to the camps so we can live." PEOPLE BOARDING BUSES (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) DISPLACED MAN WHO FLED ZUHOOR NEIGHBOURHOOD OF MOSUL, FIRAS ABU AHMAD, SAYING: "There were mortars and gunfire, we walked for a long time, then caught a ride from Kokjali to get here. We are going to the camp near Qayyara. The mortars were scary, otherwise it is OK inside Mosul." PEOPLE WAITING AT CHECKPOINT VARIOUS OF A MAN SHAVING OFF ANOTHER MAN'S BEARD (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) DISPLACED MAN WHO FLED QUDS NEIGHBOURHOOD OF EASTERN MOSUL, SAIF, SAYING (AS HE IS BEING SHAVED): "There were mortars and shelling constantly. We barely escaped. I am shaving off my beard, we are now free of this burden on our faces." MEN AND WOMEN CARRYING THEIR ITEMS TOWARDS BUSES VARIOUS OF PEOPLE BOARDING BUSES VARIOUS OF PEOPLE INSIDE A BUS MORE OF PEOPLE BOARDING BUSES
- Embargoed: 11th January 2017 13:57
- Keywords: Bartella Iraq flee displaced civilians Mosul
- Location: NEAR BARTELLA, IRAQ
- City: NEAR BARTELLA, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0015ENROLJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Hundreds of Iraqi civilians were being transported to camps for displaced people on Tuesday (December 27) after they fled areas of eastern Mosul which the army had recently captured from Islamic State.
The militants have stepped up counter-attacks on the Iraqi forces in eastern Mosul, prompting many residents to leave their homes in the area.
Men, women and children were screened by the security forces in the nearby town of Bartella before being transported to camps.
An official said the civilians had fled from various neighbourhoods in eastern Mosul.
Iraqi security officials say they have seized nearly a quarter of eastern Mosul. Nearly 100,000 people have fled the city, according to the International Organization for Migration.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None