- Title: For London's Italian businesses, Italy v England is a win-win scenario
- Date: 9th July 2021
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (JULY 9, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS EXTERIORS OF IL PAGLIACCIO RESTAURANT / ITALIAN FLAGS HANGING FROM RESTAURANT ENTRANCE IL PAGLIACCIO RESTAURANT OWNER, TEO CATINO, PUTTING ITALY FLAG ON HIS DOG (SOUNDBITE) (English) IL PAGLIACCIO RESTAURANT OWNER, TEO CATINO, SAYING: "Already I got a lot of bookings. I could fill up Pagliaccio a minimum four or five times the capacity. I had to reorganise myself, I have no choice I've got to do a fixed menu, which I am going to charge a minimum, I've will charge 50 pounds a head for everyone. Then I am trying to keep control of the situation, which is not easy. So, in other words if you do have four to five hundred people coming in all at the same time it is not easy. It's a bit like a large wedding and a celebration." TERRACE AREA OF IL PAGLIACCIO RESTAURANT STAFF PREPARING TABLES AT RESTAURANT (SOUNDBITE) (English) IL PAGLIACCIO RESTAURANT OWNER, TEO CATINO, SAYING: "Whatever will happen. Either Italy will win or England will win, I will still be a winner. The reason being because if England win, I will make more money, if Italy win, I will have a big smile on my face - that is the idea." COUNTER ASSISTANT RINGING BELL AT BAR ITALIA IN SOHO VARIOUS OF BAR ITALIA OWNER, ANTONIO POLLEDRI AND COUNTER ASSISTANT WORKING (SOUNDBITE) (English) BAR ITALIA OWNER, ANTONIO POLLEDRI, SAYING: "It is going to be a magic night; it is going to be an amazing night. The phones haven't stopped ringing. Loads of Italian fans want to come down and celebrate and enjoy the evening. Hopefully it will be a celebration after and we have a Prosecco deal and we have dried pasta that we are going to throw out of the window as we normally do which is customary." JERSEYS HANGING OFF BAR CEILING VARIOUS OF FLAGS BEHIND THE COUNTER PEOPLE IN RESTAURANT (SOUNDBITE) (English) BAR ITALIA OWNER, ANTONIO POLLEDRI, SAYING: "They are really, really excited. I mean, Italy were quiet in the start and everybody was talking about France about Germany, about England but Italy slowly, slowly they got through and it is the best possible result for all of us, Italy England final. England why? Because everybody is spending money, everybody is on a high after such a long COVID spell at home Everybody is spending money and the economy is doing well and Italy because I am in Soho and I just love all the Italians that are coming to support us." POLLEDRI AND COUNTER ASSISTANT WORKING (SOUNDBITE) (English) BAR ITALIA OWNER, ANTONIO POLLEDRI, SAYING: "It is always divided loyalties; I couldn't have expected anything other than an Italy-England final and it is a question everybody always asks me. But with all the Italians in the area, Italy I believe will win. I believe it will be a draw at full-time, it will go to penalties and Italy will win on penalties." FLAGS BEHIND THE COUNTER SIGN ON WALL, READING (English): "BAR ITALIA SOHO" (SOUNDBITE) (Italian) BAR ITALIA OWNER, ANTONIO POLLEDRI, SAYING: "Here at Bar Italia we are a family. We've had this bar for over 70 years, more or less 72 years. All Italians in London come here to watch the match and celebrate with us later. It's a very beautiful thing." INTERIOR OF BAR ITALIA (SOUNDBITE) (Italian) BAR ITALIA OWNER, ANTONIO POLLEDRI, SAYING: "Because Italians can't come here to watch the match, so people who come are Italians born here like me. For them, the national team is very important and this way we can celebrate together afterwards." VARIOUS OF PEOPLE OUTSIDE BAR ITALIA
- Embargoed: 23rd July 2021 18:19
- Keywords: Bar Italia England Euro 2020 European Championship Italy London
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Europe,Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001EL4C2MF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The Euro 2020 final between Italy and England in London is the dream match for owners of Italian restaurants and bars in the capital city, knowing whatever the result, they will have a good night on Sunday (July 11).
Teo Catino, the owner of Il Pagliaccio Restaurant in west London said if England win, he'll be happy as it means his business will make more money and if Italy are victorious, he'll celebrate being a proud Italian.
The owner of Soho's Bar Italia, Antonio Polledri echoed those sentiments saying it was the perfect final for his business and everyone was enjoying themselves after the last 15 months of COVID-19 disruption.
England have home advantage with the 60,000-capacity crowd largely cheering for them, but the past record certainly favours Italy, who have never lost against England in four meetings at a major tournament and have been defeated once in eight competitive games.
There may be little to choose between the two starting lineups and both sides have exemplary defensive records. England have conceded just one goal so far this tournament while Italy have let in three.
Polledri added that he believed the match would go to penalties with Roberto Mancini's Italy team eventually winning the match.
But whoever wins on the pitch, London's restaurants and bars will certainly be the winners away from Wembley Stadium on Sunday.
(Production: Ben Makori, Will Russell, Chiara Rodriquez, Tim Hart)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None