- Title: Rowdy England fans take over Leicester Square
- Date: 11th July 2021
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (JULY 11, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF FANS CHANTING IN LEICESTER SQUARE VIEWED FROM FIRST FLOOR OF BUILDING FANS THROWING CANS OF BEER AT WINDOWS CAN OF BEER / FANS ON LEICESTER SQUARE VARIOUS OF FANS IN LEICESTER SQUARE FAN WITH ARMS RAISED STANDING AMONGST CROWD FAN WITH FLARE FANS IN LEICESTER SQUARE / FAN WEARING SHIRT WITH NAME OF FORMER ENGLAND CAPTAIN DAVID BECKHAM ENGLAND FAN WRAPPED IN FLAG SPEAKING TO FRIEND FAN WEARING SHIRT FEATURING NAME OF ENGLAND PLAYER PHIL FODEN VARIOUS OF FANS THROWING OBJECTS AT A FAN ON A BALCONY FANS CONGREGATING WITH SMOKE FROM FLARE FAN DANCING FAN RAISING FIST IN THE AIR VARIOUS OF FANS AND SMOKE FROM FLARES
- Embargoed: 25th July 2021 15:04
- Keywords: England England fans Euro 2020 Italy Leicester Square bottles fans supporters
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Europe,Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001ELEBPL3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: AUDIO AS INCOMING - TOP SHOTS OF FANS FILMED FROM BEHIND WINDOWS
A thousand-strong crowd of England's soccer fans gathered on Leicester Square in central London on Sunday (July 11) ahead of their team's Euro 2020 final against 1968 champions Italy.
The raucous crowd were seen throwing objects in the air, including near-empty cans of beer, some six hours before the 8pm (1900GMT) kickoff at Wembley Stadium, in the northwest of the capital.
Many fans defied a plea from London's Metropolitan Police to refrain from travelling to the city amid ongoing concerns about coronavirus cases.
While England have only once previously reached the final of a major tournament, this will be Italy's 10th such final.
However, Italy's only European title was claimed 43 years ago - two years after England's 1966 World Cup success.
In England's favour, the 60,000-strong crowd will be overwhelmingly supporting the home nation.
Of the other nations in the United Kingdom, Scotland and Wales were knocked out in earlier stages of the tournament while Northern Ireland did not qualify.
(Production: Will Russell, Ben Dangerfield
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None