- Title: Jubilant England fans descend on London ahead of first final in 55 years
- Date: 11th July 2021
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (JULY 11, 2021) (REUTERS) ENGLAND SOCCER FANS CHANTING WHILE WALKING THROUGH LEICESTER SQUARE IN CENTRAL LONDON VARIOUS OF ENGLAND FANS WALKING THROUGH LEICESTER SQUARE (SOUNDBITE) (English) 53-YEAR-OLD ENGLAND FAN FROM BRADFORD-ON-AVON, WILTSHIRE, GUS MCKAY, SAYING: "I think it feels incredible. I've been waiting all my life (to reach a final). I'm 52 years old - well 53 today, in fact. So, yeah, just it's amazing. Amazing. And I think (Gareth) Southgate has just done an incredible job so far and the atmosphere is building beautifully." (SOUNDBITE) (English) 56-YEAR-OLD ENGLAND FAN FROM YORK, NORTH YORKSHIRE, DAVE WOODALL, SAYING: "I'm 56, so I was one (year-old) when we won the World Cup and it's a dream that I never thought would ever happen. (FAN, SHOUTING: "IT'S COMING HOME). So, I'm like a kid at Christmas. It's the best feeling ever - and I had to come down. I live in York and I had to come down for the day. I couldn't miss this." (SOUNDBITE) (English) 31-YEAR-OLD ENGLAND FAN FROM BRADFORD, WEST YORKSHIRE, GAVIN MEAKIN, SAYING: "It's coming home, mate, that's all I'm saying, It's coming home. Two-nil (to England). Confident." (SOUNDBITE) (English) 23-YEAR-OLD ENGLAND FAN FROM STAFFORDSHIRE, BRANDON (LAST NAME NOT GIVEN), SAYING: "The fact that you don't know what 11 is going to be picked, but every time that 11 comes out, they go and perform. We go into every tournament. We don't know what 11 is going to be picked and we underperform. This one is the one where it's like, you know what I'm saying, they get the job done every time. (Southgate) makes big decisions, controversial decisions, but it always comes off. Great." (SOUNDBITE) (English) 28-YEAR-OLD ENGLAND FAN FROM ESSEX, JACK PHILLIPS, SAYING: "I'm going to say 3-1 England. Come on. I mean, we've got to keep the hope up. So that's the most important thing." PICCADILLY CIRCUS WITH BOARDED OFF EROS STATUE BUS AND TRAFFIC ON PICCADILLY CIRCUS ENGLAND FANS ON PICCADILLY CIRCUS ENGLAND FLAGS ON NEWS STAND VARIOUS OF ENGLAND FLAGS IN PLACE OF THE TRADITIONAL BRITISH FLAGS OUTSIDE THE RITZ HOTEL ENGLAND FANS WALKING PAST THE RITZ VARIOUS OF ENGLAND FLAGS AND HATS BEING SOLD ON STALL NEXT TO THE RITZ SHOPKEEPER HANGING ENGLAND FLAG OUTSIDE SHOP ENGLAND FLAG / ITALY FLAG LONDON EYE AND THE RIVER THAMES THE ELIZABETH TOWER, COMMONLY REFERRED TO AS BIG BEN VARIOUS OF LONDON SKYLINE AND WATERLOO BRIDGE LONDON EYE AND BRIDGE
- Embargoed: 25th July 2021 12:31
- Keywords: England Euro 2020 European Championship Italy fans supporters
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Europe,Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001ELEBN7R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Soccer fans from all over England were in jubilant mood on London's streets on Sunday (July 11) ahead of the national team's Euro 2020 final clash with Italy.
For England, it is most anticipated game since the side won the 1966 World Cup - the last time it ever reached a major final.
Reuters spoke to several fans who had travelled from all over the country to be in the capital for the match, which takes place at Wembley Stadium at 2000 local time (1900GMT).
London's Metropolitan Police had asked fans without tickets to the game to refrain from travelling to London due to the ongoing COVDI-19 pandemic.
England's red and white flags were seen across the centre of London, with many landmarks and souvenir stands replacing their usual British union flags with the English cross of St George.
While England have only once previously reached the final of a major tournament, this will be Italy's 10th such final. I
In England's favour, the 60,000-strong crowd will be overwhelmingly supporting the home nation.
Of the other nations in the United Kingdom, Scotland and Wales were knocked out in earlier stages of the tournament while Northern Ireland did not qualify.
(Production: Will Russell, Ben Dangerfield)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None