- Title: England fans leave Wembley sad but proud as Italy celebrate victory
- Date: 12th July 2021
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (JULY 11, 2021) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS PROFANITY*** ENGLAND FANS OUTSIDE WEMBLEY VARIOUS OF FANS OUTSIDE THE STADIUM ENGLAND FANS WALKING AWAY FROM WEMBLEY STADIUM AFTER THE FINAL WHISTLE VARIOUS OF ENGLAND FANS GOING HOME (SOUNDBITE) (English) ENGLAND FAN, CHARLIE KING, SAYING: "We probably should have put them away in the first half an hour. We went up, it is the momentum was with us and Italy looked leggy, they looked old but it's one of those things with Italy. It got to 60 minutes and you thought, they've got those smarts haven't they? And we could have won it in extra time, but Italy go on for penalties and what can I say? What can I say? I thought England did fantastically well." FANS LEAVING WEMBLEY (SOUNDBITE) (English) ENGLAND FAN, JACK WIDDOCK, SAYING: "The Italians played well, you've got to give it to them, but I think when we had a moment to take the momentum we missed it, personally. But look you've got to give credit to the team and to Gareth Southgate and all the players. They did a fantastic job for our country. I'm very proud of them." FANS LEAVING WEMBLEY (SOUNDBITE) (English) ENGLAND FAN, DEXTER GAUL, SAYING: "It was a shame. It was total shame. The boys done amazingly well and it's sickening. Congratulations to the Italians. They sort of deserved it but we would have preferred it." FANS WALKING AWAY FROM WEMBLEY (SOUNDBITE) (English) ITALY FAN, PETER SALVATORE, SAYING: "It's feeling very, very amazing. It's been a great game. England played very well. Fortunately, we did better in the penalties, but what can we say. Only thing I realise is I don't hear English fans chanting anymore. Sorry, I lost my voice but let's go. Forza Italia. C'mon let's go!" FANS LEAVING WEMBLEY (SOUNDBITE) (English) ITALY FAN, FILIPO FERRARINI, SAYING: "It was a great game and I think we dominated. It was quite well deserved. But England played a good game as well so good to them as well." WEMBLEY ARCH LIT UP IN ITALY COLOURS FANS LEAVING WEMBLEY FIREWORK DISPLAY ON THE WEMBLEY ARCH / FANS LEAVING STADIUM ELECTRONIC SCREEN DISPLAY READING (English): "CONGRATULATIONS ITALY EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS" / FANS LEAVING
- Embargoed: 26th July 2021 01:11
- Keywords: England Euro 2020 European Championship Fans Italy Supporters Wembley Stadium
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Europe,Soccer,Sport,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001ELEDCUF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: EDIT CONTAINS PROFANE LANGUAGE
Italy claimed the European Championship for the first time since 1968 as penalties came back to haunt England at Wembley on Sunday (July 11), Gianluigi Donnarumma saving twice as the Azzurri won a shootout 3-2 after the game finished 1-1 following extra time.
The giant keeper saved from Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka after Marcus Rashford hit a post, as Federico Bernardeschi, Leonardo Bonucci, and Domenico Berardi all scored for the Italians.
Luke Shaw had given England a dream start with a superb goal after two minutes but Italy, who offered almost nothing in response in the first half, gradually took command and deservedly levelled through Bonucci after 67 minutes.
It was the first final to be decided on penalties since Czechoslovakia beat West Germany in 1976 and will be wildly celebrated in Italy after they lost in the final in 2000 and 2012.
(Production: Gerhard Mey, Stuart McDill)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None