- Title: Emmy nom admits to an 'awful lot of swearing' after learning about nods
- Date: 13th July 2021
- Summary: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (JULY 13, 2021) (REUTERS) (ON CAST GROUP TEXT MESSAGES) ***WARNING: CONTAINS PROFANITY*** (SOUNDBITE) (English) BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS EMMY NOMINEE, JUNO TEMPLE, SAYING: (ON BEING SCARED TO BE NOMINATED) "I don't know, this is a new world to me, the idea of being a part of an awards thing. And it's a new kind of exposure, even with the success of the show, like all of that is quite new to me. And I'm a private person and I, I really - yeah, it's never been in my brain that this would be remotely a part of my journey as an actress." (SOUNDBITE) (English) BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS NOMINEE, HANNAH WADDINGHAM, SAYING: "Surreal, really. I mean, I'm a south London girl who's just fallen into a role that fits in a show that's just been written by absolute ninjas. And that alchemy of all of us together has created something that seems to have moved people to, to vote and bother and and, and more important than anything, helped people through a really shitty time in their lives, you know?"
- Embargoed: 27th July 2021 22:02
- Keywords: apple tv
- Location: UNKNOWN FILM LOCATIONS / LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- City: UNKNOWN FILM LOCATIONS / LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Arts/Culture/Entertainment,Television,United States
- Reuters ID: LVA006ELOCVV1
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDIT CONTAINS PROFANITY
"The Crown" and "The Mandalorian" led nominations on Tuesday (July 13) for the Emmy Awards in a field packed with newcomers and feel-good TV shows that reflected the surge in streaming during the coronavirus pandemic.
HBO and its new HBO Max streaming platform led all networks with 130 nominations, followed by Netflix Inc with 129. The Apple TV+ streaming service scored 35 nods - its best-ever showing - mostly for the heartwarming comedy "Ted Lasso."
Several of the show's cast were nominated included Juno Temple, Brendan Hunt, and Hannah Waddingham who was in shock over her nod.
"I'm a south London girl who's just fallen into a role that fits in a show that's just been written by absolute ninjas. And that alchemy of all of us together has created something that seems to have moved people to, to vote and bother and, and more important than anything, helped people through a really shitty time in their lives, you know?"
Best drama series contenders include Netflix's British royal series "The Crown" for a season that focused on the early years of the disastrous marriage of Prince Charles and Princess Diana.
"The Crown" nabbed a leading 24 nods, including nine for actors such as Josh O'Connor and newcomer Emma Corrin as the royal newlyweds and Olivia Colman as a middle-aged Queen Elizabeth.
The Emmy Awards will be handed out at a ceremony in Los Angeles on September 19, hosted by actor Cedric the Entertainer. While they are awarded by the Los Angeles-based Television Academy, they are considered the highest TV honors in the world.
Other notable nods went to a documentary about Britney Spears and to Oprah Winfrey's explosive interview in March with Prince Harry and his wife Meghan, in their first major TV sit-down since quitting the royal family in early 2020.
"Pose" star Mj Rodriguez became the first transgender performer to pick up a lead Emmy acting nomination, for her role in the drama series about the LGBTQ underground ballroom scene. Laverne Cox was the first transgender actress to be nominated for an acting Emmy for her guest role in "Orange Is the New Black."
LGBTQ advocacy group GLAAD called the Rodriguez nomination "a breakthrough for transgender women in Hollywood."
Walt Disney Co-led all media companies with 146 nominations combined across all of its platforms, including the Disney+ and Hulu streaming services and traditional networks including ABC.
NBC's drama "This Is Us" was the only network show nominated in the best drama category.
"We also have commercials to deal with, you know, in a five-act structure to navigate around. And, we don't have, you know, we don't have dragons and explosions and any of that, any of that stuff. And so, to deliver a captivating story in what ends up being 42 minutes, you know, out of, out of the hour is an extreme accomplishment," said cast member Chris Sullivan who was nominated in the best supporting actor category.
(Production: Alicia Powell)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None