- Title: Wall Street ends down as Delta variant drives fears
- Date: 16th July 2021
- Summary: YARDLEY, PENNSYLVANIA, UNITED STATES (JULY 16, 2021) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (English) MERCADIEN ASSET MANAGEMENT, PRESIDENT, KEN KAMEN, SAYING: "As the economy is reopening here and around the world, we have a lot of things weighing on our mind. You know, as earnings season starts, people are worried about, well, 'are we at peak earnings now or peak earnings growth?' And the Delta variant is also starting to make its way into the psyche of the marketplace. So I think, you know, after the run we've been on, near record highs, maybe a breather has been called for as people assess all these factors."
- Embargoed: 30th July 2021 21:08
- Keywords: COVID-19 Delta variant Dow Jones Nasdaq S&P 500 Wall Street coronavirus equities index indices markets shares stocks trading vaccine
- Location: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, + YARDLEY, PENNSYLVANIA, UNITED STATES
- City: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, + YARDLEY, PENNSYLVANIA, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Economic Events,Equities Markets,United States
- Reuters ID: LVA002EM3DA9Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Wall Street ended lower on Friday (July 16), weighed down by declines in Amazon, Apple and other heavyweight technology stocks, while investors worried about a rise in coronavirus cases tied to the highly contagious Delta variant.
Unofficially, the Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 0.86% to end at 34,686.08 points, while the S&P 500 lost 0.75% to 4,327.19.
The Nasdaq Composite dropped 0.78% to 14,429.43.
(Production: Hyeongmi Kim, Fred Katayama, Aleksandra Michalska)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None