- Title: 'Lethal Weapon' star Danny Glover hits 75 on July 22
- Date: 20th July 2021
- Summary: PASADENA, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (FILE - JANUARY 15, 2018) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** AMERICAN ACTOR, DANNY GLOVER, WINNER OF NAACP PRESIDENT'S AWARD, HOLDING TROPHY AND POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHS LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (FILE - DECEMBER 9, 2019) (REUTERS) ACTOR DANNY DEVITO (L) AND DANNY GLOVER AT THE "JUMANJI: WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE" PREMIERE NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (FILE - APRIL 25, 2016) (REUTERS) DANNY GLOVER POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHS AT EVENT HONOURING ACTOR MORGAN FREEMAN WHO PICKED UP THE 43RD CHAPLIN AWARD FROM THE FILM SOCIETY OF LINCOLN CENTER CANNES, FRANCE (FILE - MAY 14, 2008) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (REUTERS) DANNY GLOVER OUTSIDE PALAIS POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS AT CANNES FILM FESTIVAL "BLINDNESS" CAST MEMBERS AND DIRECTOR FERNANDO MEIRELLES POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS, INCLUDING JULIANNE MOORE AND DANNY GLOVER DANNY GLOVER AND "BLINDNESS" CO-STAR, GAEL GARCIA BERNAL SHAKING HANDS VARIOUS OF "BLINDNESS" CAST MEMBERS AND DIRECTOR POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHS ON STEPS LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (FILE - JULY 7, 1998) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (REUTERS) "LETHAL WEAPON 4" POSTER AT ITS PREMIERE AT MANN'S CHINESE THEATER FANS WAITING OUTSIDE MANN'S CHINESE THEATER DANNY GLOVER ARRIVING CO-STAR, ACTOR MEL GIBSON LAUGHING AT CEREMONY CO-STAR, ACTOR JOE PESCI SAYING HOW SHOULD DO GLOVER'S BOTTOM IN CEMENT AS HE HAS A "GREAT ASS", AS WELL AS GIBSON GIBSON WALKING UP TO STAGE, NEARLY FALLING OVER AND HUGGING GLOVER JOURNALISTS (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTOR, MEL GIBSON, SAYING: "I've always been an admirer of his (Glover's) work, and to actually work with the man, it's a privilege and an honour to have know him this long because, I mean, nobody gives it like danny does, I mean, he really, he gives a lot of love across when you're working with him." GLOVER PUTTING HIS HANDS AND FEET IN CEMENT GLOVER SHOWING HIS HANDS COVERED IN CEMENT TO CAMERA GLOVER STANDING IN THE CEMENT, WAVING TO FANS PATROLS CARS AT PREMIERE, CAST MEMBER RENE RUSSO ARRIVING BY CAR AND WAVING GLOVER ARRIVING FOR PREMIERE, GREETING FANS GIBSON WALKING OVER TO SPEAK TO REPORTERS, AND JOKINGLY BUMPING INTO RUSSO (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTOR, DANNY GLOVER, ON THE HAND PRINT CEREMONY, SAYING: "I didn't even know there were handprints out here until they told that I was going to get my handprint out here. That's the truth of it." PHOTOGRAPHERS/GLOVER AND CO-STARS POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHS LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (FILE - MARCH 2007) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (REUTERS) DANNY GLOVER, WHO PORTRAYS COLONEL ISAAC JOHNSON IN "SHOOTER", SPEAKING DURING AN INTERVIEW ABOUT CO-STAR MARK WAHLBERG BEING THE NEXT GENERATION OF ACTION HERO, AS HIS AND MEL GIBSON'S KNEES WOULD NOT BE UP TO THE JOB NOW JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA (FILE - JULY 19, 1998) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (REUTERS) DANNY GLOVER ARRIVING FOR THEN SOUTH AFRICAN PRESIDENT, NELSON MANDELA'S BIRTHDAY VARIOUS LOCATIONS , BURKINA FASO (FILE - APRIL, 1999) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF ACTOR AND UNICEF GOODWILL AMBASSADOR, DANNY GLOVER VISITING (UNITED NATIONS DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME) UNDP-SPONSORED PROJECT IN AFRICA GLOVER HELPING OUT, PUMPING WATER (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTOR, DANNY GLOVER, SAYING: "For me, to watch this is something that I get a great deal of satisfaction from. Cause I spent about ten years of my life involved with community action programs." GLOVER WITH COMMUNITY MEMBERS JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA (FILE - NOVEMBER 28, 2000) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (REUTERS) DANNY GLOVER MEETING YOUNG NKOSI JOHNSON WHO IS HIV POSITIVE AT THE NEW NKOSI HAVEN CENTRE IN JOHANNESBURG GLOVER WIPING TEARS AWAY FROM HIS EYES AFTER MEETING NKOSI JOHNSON GLOVER AND JOHNSON POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHS ZALAMBESSA, ETHIOPIA (FILE - NOVEMBER 26, 2004) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF DANNY GLOVER TOURING A LANDMINE FIELD WEARING PROTECTIVE CLOTHING VARIOUS OF GLOVER SCANNING FOR MINES USING METAL DETECTOR JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA (FILE - MAY 30, 2013) (REUTERS) PLACARD READING (English): "WHY SHOULD WE BEG", HELD BY ONE OF THE STRIKING WORKERS GATHERED AT MARY FITZGERALD SQUARE, CENTRAL JOHANNESBURG, PROTESTING AGAINST LACK OF REPRESENTATION OF UNIONS IN THE COUNTRY WHO HAVE BEEN KEY IN THE LONG STRUGGLE TO END APARTHEID AND BRING DEMOCRACY VARIOUS OF DANNY GLOVER WALKING WITH SECURITY AND GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS IN SUPPORT OF THE STRIKERS
- Embargoed: 3rd August 2021 21:08
- Keywords: Beloved Blindness Danny Glover Jumanji 2 Lethal Weapon Roger Murtaugh UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador to Ethiopia actor humanitarian
- Location: SEE SCRIPT BODY FOR LOCATIONS
- City: SEE SCRIPT BODY FOR LOCATIONS
- Country: USA
- Topics: Celebrities,Arts/Culture/Entertainment,United States
- Reuters ID: LVA001EMSAAML
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS FOOTAGE THAT WAS ORIGINALLY 4:3
Star of the "Lethal Weapon" franchise Danny Glover turns 75 on Thursday (July 22).
San Francisco-born Glover is best known for playing long-suffering LAPD Sergeant Roger Murtaugh in the police action thrillers, opposite Mel Gibson's loose cannon cop character Martin Riggs.
The first Oscar-nominated "Lethal Weapon" film was released in 1987, when Murtaugh is not far off retirement age but gets partnered with younger, suicidal narcotics officer Riggs.
Murtaugh and Riggs' last outing on screen in 1998 saw them pair up with loud-mouthed whistleblower-turned-businessman Leo Getz (Joe Pesci), as well as rookie Detective Lee Butters (Chris Rock), to investigate a Chinese immigrant smuggling ring run by Wah Sing Ku (Jet Li). It premiered on the same day Glover had his his hand and foot prints immortalised in the forecourt of Grauman's Chinese Theater on Hollywood Walk of Fame.
Glover has been nominated for four Emmys, including for his portrayal as former South African President Nelson Mandela in 1987 miniseries "Mandela".
The actor was a guest at Mandela's joint wedding anniversary and 80th birthday banquet in South Africa in July 1998.
The Hollywood star is also a humanitarian, working on many community-based projects.
As the United Nations Development Programme's first goodwill ambassador in 1998, Glover visited UNDP-sponsored projects and events around the world. On the African continent he has helped clear landmines in Zalambessa, Ethiopia to pumping water for the Association of Women Foresters of Burkina Faso who were planting and nurturing endangered species of trees, just outside of the country's capital Ouagadougou.
Glover has been active in promoting the fight against the HIV/AIDs virus, regularly visiting HIV-born South African Nkosi Johnson who was abandoned by his mother who died of the disease in 1997, before being adopted by a former nurse. Sadly, the 12-year-old South African AIDS activist who became the public face of the disease lost his battle against it in 2001.
Glover has also campaigned for workers rights in Johannesburg, South Africa in 2013, supporting union rights while in the country as part of a delegation of the United Automobile Workers Union of America.
More recently in 2019, the activist spoke during a U.S. House subcommittee hearing on a bill proposing potential reparations for descendants of slaves.
Glover described his own experience at the hearing as a descendant of slaves, saying "a national reparations policy is a moral, democratic and economic imperative".
The actor won the BET Humanitarian award in 2004.
Glover recently starred alongside Dwayne Johnson, Jack Black, Kevin Hart and Danny DeVito in the latest "Jumanji" film in 2019 about players trying to escape the world's most dangerous board game.
(Production: Lisa Giles-Keddie)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None