- Title: Man United complete Sancho signing from Dortmund
- Date: 23rd July 2021
- Summary: MILAN, ITALY (FILE - OCTOBER 22, 2019) (REUTERS) SANCHO DOING A 'KEEPIE UPPIE' THEN PASSING THE BALL BARCELONA, SPAIN (FILE - NOVEMBER 26, 2019) (REUTERS) SANCHO DOING PASSING DRILL LONDON, ENGLAND, UK (FILE - FEBRUARY 12, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF SANCHO WARMING UP WITH BORUSSIA DORTMUND TEAM MATES AT WEMBLEY
- Embargoed: 6th August 2021 14:09
- Keywords: Borussia Dortmund Jadon Sancho Manchester United transfer sale
- Location: DORTMUND, GERMANY / MILAN, ITALY / BARCELONA, SPAIN / LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
- City: DORTMUND, GERMANY / MILAN, ITALY / BARCELONA, SPAIN / LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Europe,Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA003EN2B873
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Manchester United have completed the transfer of England winger Jadon Sancho from Bundesliga team Borussia Dortmund, the Premier League club announced on Friday (July 23).
The two clubs had reached an agreement for the transfer earlier this month, with Dortmund saying United would pay 85 million euros ($100 million) for the 21-year-old.
"I'll always be grateful to Dortmund for giving me the opportunity to play first team football, although I always knew that I would return to England one day," Sancho, a former youth player at United's rivals Manchester City, told the club's website https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/statement-man-utd-complete-transfer-of-jadon-sancho-from-borussia-dortmund.
"The chance to join Manchester United is a dream come true and I just cannot wait to perform in the Premier League."
Sancho emerged as United's No. 1 transfer target last year but the clubs could not agree on a fee.
He scored 16 goals and made 20 assists in 38 games for Dortmund in all competitions in the 2020-21 season, forming a lethal partnership with Norway striker Erling Haaland.
The duo helped Dortmund qualify for the Champions League with a third-placed finish in the Bundesliga and also won the German Cup.
Sancho has 22 caps for England since making his debut in 2018, but played only three matches for Gareth Southgate's team at Euro 2020, where they lost in a penalty shootout to Italy in the final.
He was one of three England players, all Black, who missed their spot kicks in the final and were subsequently subjected to racist abuse online. The comments prompted a police investigation and brought widespread condemnation.
Sancho's addition will strengthen United's right wing as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's team look to challenge for the Premier League title after finishing second last season, 12 points behind champions Manchester City.
They start their new league campaign with a home game against Leeds United on Aug. 14.
($1 = 0.8502 euros)
(Production: Sophie Penney)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None