- Title: Drone footage shows Argenitina's polluted neon pink lakes
- Date: 31st July 2021
- Summary: TRELEW, CHUBUT PROVINCE, ARGENTINA (JULY 30, 2021) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) LOCAL ACTIVIST PABLO LADA, SAYING: ''I think that the pink lagoon uncovered the truth or lack of treatment of this waste that has become a big problem, which many times (waste) ends up in the river because the (fishing) plants are at the mouth of the Chubut River and it seems to me that is the crux of the matter. Now we need to know what is in the Corfo lagoon.''
- Embargoed: 14th August 2021 01:21
- Keywords: Argentina Chubut lagoon pink pollution
- Location: TRELEW, CHUBUT PROVINCE & BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA
- City: TRELEW, CHUBUT PROVINCE & BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA
- Country: Argentina
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,South America / Central America
- Reuters ID: LVA004EO1B613
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Two lakes in a far-flung coastal region of Patagonia, in Argentina, have turned fluorescent pink, as of yet unexplained phenomena that local environmentalists fear could be harmful and caused by industrial contamination.
The lakes, located near an industrial park on the outskirts of the Argentine city of Trelew, sprawl across a dusty, desert-like plain and are largely undeveloped. Officials with the municipality of Trelew recently uncovered a truck dumping waste in the watershed, according to posts made by the city on social media.
Authorities gave conflicting views to local media, however, on whether the sudden change in colour of the lakes was harmful. Environmentalists were more concerned.
Local activist Pablo Lada, a member of Argentina's National Ecological Network (RENACE), told Reuters in an interview that the pink colour could potentially be the result of a dye typically used to give prawns raised nearby their typically rose-colored hue.
"I think that the pink lagoon uncovered a ...lack of treatment of this waste that has become a big problem," Lada said.
Local and regional environmental officials are investigating the cause and potential damage to the lakes but have yet to arrive at any conclusions.
(Production: Juan Bustamante, Geraldine Downer)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None