- Title: Bolivians honour Mother Earth, with celebrations and offerings to "Pachamama"
- Date: 2nd August 2021
- Summary: LA PAZ, BOLIVIA (AUGUST 1, 2021) (REUTERS) MAN PRAYING TO PACHAMAMA WITH OFFERINGS BURNING AT HIS FEET OFFERINGS TO PACHAMAMA BURNING PEOPLE STANDING NEXT TO BURNING OFFERING TO PACHAMAMA SNOW-COVERED BOLIVIAN MOUNTAIN PEOPLE NEXT TO VEHICLES PEOPLE WITH OFFERINGS TO PACHAMAMA, NEXT TO VEHICLES TO BLESS THEM GENERAL VIEW OF OFFERINGS BEFORE IT IS BURNED PARKED VEHICLES THERE FOR BLESSING WOMAN PRAYING NEXT TO LIT OFFERING LIT OFFERING WITH LLAMA FETUS SEEN BURNING PEOPLE SPRAYING BEER AS AN OFFERING TO PACHAMAMA MAN SPRAYING BEER ON VEHICLE TO BLESS IT (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) PACHAMAMA FAITHFUL, SIMON QUISPE, SAYING: "It is so that my engine does not fail, so that always on a road trip, it does not fail me. Likewise, so that I don't have any accidents. So far I have been travelling for 25 years and I have not been involved in any accidents. I have faith." VARIOUS OF PRACTISING ANDEAN CEREMONY WITH PACHAMAMA FAITHFUL VARIOUS OF STATUE OF CHRIST ON MOUNTAINS, VEHICLES PARKED BELOW IT SHAMAN TAKING PART IN ANDEAN CEREMONY LLAMA FETUS READY TO BE PLACED IN OFFERING VARIOUS OF MAN SPRAYING BEER ON AN OFFERING FOR PACHAMAMA OFFERING TO PACHAMAMA BURNING BEER BOTTLES USED IN OFFERING MAN SPRAYING BUS WITH BEER TO BLESS IT (SOUNDBITE) (Aymara) SHAMAN, CALIXTO PAREDES, SAYING: ''A good offering to our mother earth, we offer so that everything goes well. We also ask that the coronavirus goes away at once. This disease has already visited us and now we hope it leaves us in peace. That's what we have offered to mother earth. Also to ask for money, health and well-being." DOVES FLYING IN SKY
- Embargoed: 16th August 2021 18:18
- Keywords: Andes Aymara Bolivia Mother Earth Pachamama Quechua
- Location: LA PAZ, BOLIVIA
- City: LA PAZ, BOLIVIA
- Country: Bolivia
- Topics: South America / Central America,Religion/Belief,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA001EOL8THJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: High atop the Andes, indigenous Bolivians gathered at dawn on Sunday (August 1) to honour Pachamama, the goddess of the earth and fertility, on the Day of Mother Earth.
In Bolivia, believers go to high elevations to burn ritual tables with animal fat, coloured paper and sweets to thank Pachamama.
The tradition, which extends from the North of Argentina and Chile through Peru and Bolivia, is celebrated with offerings that can include sheep fetuses, desiccated llamas, medicinal plants, eggs, minerals and even live animals that are sacrificed for the favour of the goddess.
August is the chosen month for the offerings because the first agricultural season ends in the Andean world, and according to indigenous communities, it is this time of year when Mother Earth 'opens her mouth' in hopes of being venerated with offerings that pay back the fruits she has given and those she will give in the future. The ceremonies can be celebrated during the entire month, but August 1st is the preferred day to make offerings.
These rituals have been celebrated in Bolivia for centuries in indigenous communities, although they have been adapted through time and currently they are performed in cities and even public institutions. In cities, people celebrate the so-called 'coachadas' or petitions to Mother Earth to bless vehicles, homes or businesses and ask for health, money and goods.
Pachamama is the highest divinity of the Aymara and Quechua peoples, the protector goddess of all material things, and the faithful make their offerings because they believe Mother Earth is exhausted after providing for humanity.
(Production: Monica Machicao, Santiago Limachi, Sergio Limachi, Geraldine Downer)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None