- Title: No vaccine, no service -- now on the menu at Philadelphia restaurant
- Date: 8th August 2021
- Summary: SIDE SHOT OF PEOPLE EATING AT RESTAURANT SIDE SHOT OF TWO WOMEN SITTING AT BAR VARIOUS SHOTS OF TWO WOMEN SEATED AT BAR CHATTING BARTENDER WASHING GLASSES IN FRONT OF KITCHEN PEOPLE BEING ESCORTED TO OUTSIDE PATIO GROUPS OF PEOPLE SEATED AT TABLES OUTSIDE PEOPLE SEATED AT LARGE TABLE OUTSIDE WAITRESS ATTENDING TO TABLES OUTSIDE WAITRESS ATTENDING TO CUSTOMERS AT TABLE OUTSIDE WHO HAVE TWO DOGS
- Embargoed: 22nd August 2021 17:31
- Keywords: COVID-19 restaurants vaccination proof vaccines
- Location: PHILADELPHIA, PENNSYLVANIA, UNITED STATES
- City: PHILADELPHIA, PENNSYLVANIA, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Health/Medicine,United States
- Reuters ID: LVA005EPF61JB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Patrons of Martha, a restaurant in Philadelphia, are getting carded upon entry now that the eatery has adopted a 'no vaccine, no service policy' as part of an effort to combat COVID-19. In this case, they're not flashing their photo IDs, but rather their vaccination cards.
The restaurant announced that it would require proof of vaccination for anyone who wanted to come inside. The decision sparked some controversy according to locals news reports, with both supporters and detractors making views known in social media.
The United States has reported more than 100,000 new cases per day on average for the past two days, a six-month high, according to a Reuters tally. About 400 people per day, on average are dying. Hospitalizations are the highest since last February.
The U.S. South remains the epicenter of the latest outbreak, with Florida reporting a record of nearly 24,000 new cases on Saturday, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Protection.
The number of COVID patients filling the state's hospitals has set records nearly every day for the past week.
Across the country, exhausted and desperate healthcare workers are turning to social media to describe the grim reality they face.
Most new infections are among people who are not vaccinated.
(Video: Hannah Beier; Production: Deborah Lutterbeck)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None