- Title: COVID worries send Emmy Awards show outdoors
- Date: 11th August 2021
- Summary: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (FILE - SEPTEMBER 22, 2019) (REUTERS) EMMYS PURPLE CARPET REALITY TV STAR KIM KARDASHIAN ON CARPET ACTRESS GWYNETH PALTROW ACTOR BILLY PORTER TO ACTRESS JULIA LOUIS-DREYFUS ACTRESS ZENDAYA WALKING DOWN CARPET ACTRESS AMY ADAMS ACTRESS AND TV PERSONALITY BUSY PHILIPPS WITH ACTRESS MICHELLE WILLIAMS LOUIS-DREYFUS ACTRESS ROBIN WRIGHT ACTORS MICHAEL DOUGLAS AND CATHERINE ZETA JONES QUEER EYE CAST (L-R) KARAMO BROWN, TAN FRANCE, ANTONI POROWSKI AND BOBBY BERK
- Embargoed: 25th August 2021 10:52
- Keywords: Cedric the Entertainer Emmy Awards L.A. LIVE Microsoft Theater The Television Academy and CBS
- Location: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- City: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Arts/Culture/Entertainment,Television,United States
- Reuters ID: LVA001EPU6B7X
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The Emmy Awards ceremony for achievement in television was moved outdoors on Tuesday (August 10) in the latest setback to live events because of rising concerns over the coronavirus pandemic.
The Sept. 19 ceremony in Los Angeles was initially due to take place indoors before a limited celebrity audience.
"The Television Academy and CBS have decided to host all ceremonies ... on the Event Deck at L.A. LIVE, directly behind the Microsoft Theater," the Television Academy said in a statement.
The Event Deck in downtown Los Angeles is an outdoor space that includes a large tented area.
The statement said the changes followed discussions with Los Angeles County health and safety experts.
It added there would be further limits on the numbers of those invited to the show, including those nominated for the highest honors in U.S. television.
"Unfortunately, this means not all nominees will be able to attend this year's awards," the organizers said.
Los Angeles last month reimposed the wearing of masks in all indoor public settings and businesses because of rising numbers of coronavirus infections in the second-largest city in the United States.
Last year's Emmy Awards took place in an empty studio with nominees from around the world joining on video screens from their homes and gardens.
Concerns over the Delta variant of the virus on Tuesday prompted singer Stevie Nicks, 73, to cancel five concerts she had scheduled for 2021.
"While I'm vaccinated, at my age, I am still being extremely cautious and for that reason have decided to skip the 5 performances I had planned for 2021," the former Fleetwood Mac musician wrote on Twitter.
The New Orleans Jazz Festival, due to take place in early October, was canceled on Monday because of rising cases of coronavirus in Louisiana.
(Production: Mike Davidson)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None