- Title: Water, umbrellas, fans: Seville and Madrid prepare for scorching temperatures
- Date: 13th August 2021
- Summary: SEVILLE, SPAIN (AUGUST 13, 2021) (REUTERS) TORRE DEL ORO MONUMENT, PEOPLE PASSING BY WOMAN COOLING OFF AT FOUNTAIN HORSES CARRIAGE PASSING BY PEOPLE HOLDING UMBRELLA PASSING BY WORKER RIDING BIKE (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) CITY COUNCIL DEPUTY MAYOR, JUAN CARLOS CABRERA, SAYING: "There have been temperatures of this type for many years, but we cannot turn our backs on reality. The reality is that we are in a process of major climate change. The great powers and all the countries at the climate change summit must become aware of this once and for all. In that we are advancing, from the city council of Seville is advancing in urban policy." VARIOUS OF TOURISTS ENJOYING FLAMENCO DANCERS VARIOUS OF HORSE DRINKING WATER POLICE OFFICER GIVING WATER TO PEOPLE (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) CITY COUNCIL DEPUTY MAYOR, JUAN CARLOS CABRERA, SAYING: "Fundamentally it is important that we advance in renewable energies, that we advance in the intention to lower temperatures, to eliminate CO2, and either we all get involved or the reality is that we will leave future generations a much warmer planet, a worse planet, and therefore we must collaborate and continue advancing from the environmental point of view to make a much more sustainable planet." PEOPLE WALKING MAN COOLING HIMSELF WITH WATER FROM BOTTLE MADRID, SPAIN (AUGUST 13, 2021) (REUTERS) PUERTA DE ALCALA MONUMENT THERMOMETER MARKING 43 CELSIUS DEGREES RETIRO PARK ENTRANCE SIGN READING (Spanish) "FROM 15:00 IT IS ACTIVE YELLOW ALERT FOR ADVERSE METEOROLOGICAL PHENOMENA AT RETIRO PARK" CONSTRUCTION WORKER NEXT TO EXCAVATOR CONSTRUCTION WORKER (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) CONSTRUCTION WORKER, ALBERTO, SAYING: "It's the same, the body adapts to everything, the good and the bad, the cold and the heat, you get used to everything. At the beginning it's hard but then the body gets used to it." PUERTA DEL SOL SQUARE WOMAN COOLING OFF WITH FAN MAN DRESSED UP AS MICKEY MOUSE AT SOL SQUARE SOL METRO STATION WOMAN PASSING BY HOLDING UMBRELLA MAN DRESSED UP AS MICKEY MOUSE AT SOL SQUARE VARIOUS OF FANS' STORE EMPTY PLAZA MAYOR PEOPLE AT PLAZA MAYOR SHADOW PEOPLE PASSING BY PLAZA MAYOR SQUARE
- Embargoed: 27th August 2021 15:18
- Keywords: Spain climate change heatwave. summer hot southern Spain
- Location: SEVILLE AND MADRID, SPAIN
- City: SEVILLE AND MADRID, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Environment,Europe,Weather
- Reuters ID: LVA001EQ468G7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Residents in Spain's Seville cooled off on Friday (August 13) as the country face its second heatwave of the summer.
Temperatures in Seville are expected to go as high as 46 degrees Celsius (114.8 Fahrenheit) on Friday, according to Spain's weather forecast agency AEMET.
Tourists stayed in the shadow to enjoy a show of flamenco. Horses dragging carriages cooled down with water.
Although the heat in Seville is common every summer, residents are aware climate change is also affecting them.
"There have been temperatures of this type for many years, but we cannot turn our backs on reality. The reality is that we are in a process of major climate change," said Seville deputy mayor Juan Carlos Cabrera.
In the capital Madrid, those who braved the heat sought protection from umbrellas and fans.
Spain's second bout of the extreme heat of the year is forecast to spread south during the weekend before easing on Monday (August 16).
So far only a sliver of Spain's northern Atlantic and the Canary Islands will be spared.
(Production: Mariano Valladolid, Michael Gore, Jon Nazca, Elena Rodriguez)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None