- Title: Afghan nationals arrive in Virginia as evacuation gathers pace
- Date: 23rd August 2021
- Summary: CHANTILLY, VIRGINIA, UNITED STATES (AUGUST 23, 2021) (REUTERS) AFGHAN NATIONALS GETTING OFF OF BUS AT DULLES EXPO CENTER AFGHAN WOMAN CARRYING CHILD WALKING TO JOIN OTHERS IN LINE, WITH U.S. SOLDIERS NEARBY AFGHAN NATIONALS ON BUS AFGHAN NATIONALS GETTING OFF BUS AFGHAN NATIONALS WALKING TOWARDS FACILITY AFGHAN NATIONALS GETTING OFF BUS PERSON BEING PUSHED IN WHEELCHAIR AND CHILDREN AND OTHER AFGHAN NATIONALS IN LINE, WALKING TO FACILITY VARIOUS OF AFGHAN NATIONALS WALKING TOWARDS FACILITY U.S. MILITARY PERSONNEL AT SITE WIDE OF AFGHAN NATIONALS WALKING IN LINE TOWARDS FACILITY EXTERIOR OF DULLES EXPO CENTER
- Embargoed: 6th September 2021 20:59
- Keywords: Afghanistan Hamid Karzai International Airport Kabul airport Taliban arrivals refugees
- Location: CHANTILLY, VIRGINIA & ARLINGTON, VIRGINIA, UNITED STATES / KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- City: CHANTILLY, VIRGINIA & ARLINGTON, VIRGINIA, UNITED STATES / KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- Country: USA
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,United States,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA001ERI4LL3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Afghan nationals arrived in Chantilly, Virginia on Monday (August 23) as the U.S. accelerated efforts to evacuate Americans and Afghan allies from Afghanistan following Taliban takeover of the country.
The Afghan evacuees will stay at the Dulles Expo Center before they are sent on to various U.S. military facilities.
Thousands of Afghans and foreigners have thronged Kabul airport in Afghanistan for days, hoping to catch a flight out after Taliban fighters captured Kabul on Aug. 15 and as U.S.-led forces aim to complete their pullout by the end of the month.
U.S. President Joe Biden warned on Sunday (August 22) that the evacuation was going to be "hard and painful" and a lot could still go wrong. U.S. troops might stay beyond their Aug. 31 deadline to oversee the evacuation, he said.
The United States and its allies have brought in several thousand troops to manage the evacuations of foreign citizens and vulnerable Afghans, but have stayed away from areas outside of the Kabul airport.
The Biden administration has also announced that commercial aircraft would be used to help ferry people who have been evacuated from Afghanistan.
(Production: Ashraf Fahim)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None