- Title: 'Notes to God' cleared from Western Wall ahead of Jewish New Year
- Date: 25th August 2021
- Summary: JERUSALEM (AUGUST 25, 2021) (REUTERS) JEWISH WORSHIPPER BLOWING THE SHOFAR, A RAM'S HORN, WHICH IS TRADITIONALLY SOUNDED FOR THE JEWISH NEW YEAR AS A REMINDER TO LOOK INWARD AND REPENT FOR THE SINS OF THE PAST YEAR VARIOUS OF MAN CLEANING NOTES FROM THE CRACKS BETWEEN WESTERN WALL STONES VARIOUS OF WORKERS CLEARING NOTES FROM CRACK IN WALL JEWISH WORSHIPPERS PRAYING IN FRONT OF WESTERN WALL AS WORKERS CLEAR NOTES JEWISH WORSHIPPERS PRAYING IN FRONT OF WESTERN WALL (SOUNDBITE) (Hebrew) WESTERN WALL RABBI, SHMUEL RABINOWITZ, SAYING: "Just like every year, this year on the eve of the New Year we clear the notes from the Western Wall. There are notes from all over the world." WORKER CLEARS NOTES JEWISH WORSHIPPER PRAYING WORKER CLEARS NOTES JEWISH WORSHIPPER PRAYING JEWISH WORSHIPPER BLOWING THE SHOFAR VARIOUS OF WESTERN WALL
- Embargoed: 8th September 2021 11:47
- Keywords: Jewish New Year Notes Western wall sanitizing
- Location: JERUSALEM
- City: JERUSALEM
- Country: Jerusalem
- Topics: Religion/Belief,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA001ERS387B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Twice a year, a team of cleaners equipped with long sticks clear out tens of thousands of written prayers and wishes crammed into the crevices of Judaism's Western Wall in Jerusalem by worshippers and visitors, making room for fresh ones.
It is time again for this cleaning at at the wall on Wednesday (August 25). But this time, the rite was held with precautions against coronavirus infection in place, after a relapse in the infection rate.
Workers in protective masks held onto their sticks with gloves as they extracted the paper notes left in 'God's mailbox'.
Religious authorities also operate a service in which people can email their prayers for placement between the stones.
The Western Wall is a remnant of the compound of the Second Temple that was destroyed in 70 AD. It stands today beneath a religious plaza revered by Muslims as the Noble Sanctuary and by Jews as the Temple Mount.
(Production: Ilan Rosenberg, Mustafa Abu Ganeyeh)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None