- Title: A Ferris wheel lifts spirits in New York's Times Square
- Date: 25th August 2021
- Summary: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (AUGUST 25, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF VIEW OF TIMES SQUARE FROM "TIMES SQUARE WHEEL" FERRIS WHEEL PEOPLE WAITING IN LINE / FERRIS WHEEL (SOUNDBITE) (English) TEACHER, DEBORAH JOHNSON, SAYING: "I don't remember the last time I've been on a Ferris wheel, really. That was so much fun. I thought it was one of the nicer ideas to do for New York and, you know, opening up." VARIOUS OF JOHNSON GETTING INTO FERRIS WHEEL CAR AND CHEERING (SOUNDBITE) (English) CHIEF OF TAX OPERATIONS AT ANCHIN, BLOCK & ANCHIN LLP, PENELOPE BUSTAMANTE, SAYING: "Oh, I loved it. It was really fun. It was special to be able to go that high in a Ferris wheel in Times Square. How often do you get that opportunity? Never." JOHNSON AND BUSTAMANTE RIDING FERRIS WHEEL (SOUNDBITE) (English) WRITER AND PHOTOGRAPHER, ARLENE SCHULMAN, SAYING: "It wasn't as exciting as I thought it would be. I also have a bad barometer of space, having been to the actual top of the George Washington Bridge. So I thought, OK, I'm brave enough to do that. This was eh. It wasn't exciting at all. I didn't feel like it was worth the $30. I thought I could go up to the elevator in one of the hotels and get a better view. So I thought, you know, I did it, I tried it, but it wasn't very exciting. Or maybe I'm just a jaded New Yorker." VARIOUS OF VIEW OF TIMES SQUARE FROM "TIMES SQUARE WHEEL" VARIOUS OF FERRIS WHEEL (SOUNDBITE) (English) UNIDENTIFIED U.S. POSTAL SERVICE WORKERS, SAYING: WOMAN: "I feel great. I can't wait to get on this Ferris wheel. Like, oh my God!" MAN: "We're so excited. We're on our break."
- Embargoed: 8th September 2021 21:13
- Keywords: Ferris wheel New York Times Square Vito Bruno
- Location: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- City: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Human Interest/Brights/Odd News,Society/Social Issues,United States
- Reuters ID: LVA001ERS40NB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:A 110-feet-high Ferris wheel spins in the once bustling heart of Times Square, helping to turn New York City's economy around with joy.
For 12 minutes, customers can ride the Times Square Wheel for a bird's eye view of the so-called Crossroads of the World in midtown Manhattan, behind red glass steps over the TKTS booth where discounted Broadway show tickets are sold.
"I don't remember the last time I've been on a Ferris wheel. That was so much fun," said Deborah Johnson.
"It was special to be able to go that high in a Ferris wheel in Times Square. How often do you get that opportunity? Never," said Penelope Bustamante.
Before his ride, the Naked Cowboy, a regular attraction himself in Times Square, strummed his guitar and sang, "I'm scared of heights so I'll probably squeal, ahhhh!"
The idea is to bring back the joy of childhood, said Vito Bruno, founder and chief executive of AM:PM Entertainment Concepts. "It's a feel good thing. It's just the right time. You see people come alive again. New York and this country needs happy right now."
Not all riders were so enthusiastic.
"It wasn't as exciting as I thought it would be. This was eh," said Arlene Schulman. "I thought I could go up to the elevator at one of the hotels and get a better view. Or maybe I'm just a jaded New Yorker."
Tickets range from $15 to $35. Rides are free each day for the first 100 people vaccinated for COVID-19 from Aug. 1 through Sept. 12, the last day of the attraction. Rides are available from noon to midnight.
(Production: Roselle Chen, Hussein Al Waaile, Richard TS Chang)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None