- Title: Spanish rescuers retrieve body from collapsed building, one still missing
- Date: 26th August 2021
- Summary: PENISCOLA, SPAIN (AUGUST 26, 2021) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) PENISCOLA'S MAYOR, ANDRES MARTINEZ, SAYING: "A 15-year-old teenager was found dead crushed by the building. Emergency services are still searching for one person." (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) OWNER OF ONE OF THE FLATS THAT COLLAPSED, ARANTXA RIOS, SAYING: "We are well but we know that a neighbour has died and there is one person still missing. We all feel devastated because a flat is a flat, but we know that people have died."
- Embargoed: 9th September 2021 10:22
- Keywords: Peniscola Spain building collapse firefighters rescue
- Location: PENISCOLA, SPAIN
- City: PENISCOLA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Europe
- Reuters ID: LVA002ERX3VPJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Firefighters in the southeastern Spanish town of Peniscola on Thursday (August 26) morning found the body of a teenager among the rubble of a collapsed building and said they were still searching for one other missing person.
Peniscola's mayor Andres Martinez said the boy was around 15 and had been staying in the three-story building, which collapsed for unknown reasons on Wednesday (August 25) evening.
Around 140 firefighters and emergency personnel worked through the night on the recovery operation and rescued one man who had been buried in the rubble around midnight, the local authorities said.
"He was completely trapped by a slab and any wrong manoeuvre would have had fatal consequences," firefighter Carlos Verchili said after the rescue.
(Production: Eva Manez, Silvio Castellanos)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None