- Title: Toronto protesters demand Canadian govt help rescue stranded Afghans
- Date: 29th August 2021
- Summary: VARIOUS OF PROTEST SIGNS VARIOUS OF LARGE PROTEST CROWD
- Embargoed: 12th September 2021 04:16
- Keywords: Afghan Canadians Afghanistan Canada Kabul Taliban Toronto protest
- Location: TORONTO, ONTARIO, CANADA
- City: TORONTO, ONTARIO, CANADA
- Country: USA
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,United States,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA003ESC0U2V
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hundreds of people marched through Toronto on Saturday (August 28) to protest the Taliban takeover of Afghanistan and to demand that the Canadian government do more to help stranded Afghans still trying to leave.
The protesters marched from city hall, many waving large Afghan flags, chanting slogans for Afghan freedom, and calling on Canada and its allies not to forget the Afghans still trying to evacuate out of the country.
The U.S. and allies are hurrying to evacuate as many people from Afghanistan as possible before an Aug. 31 deadline. Canadian forces in Kabul ended evacuation efforts for their citizens and Afghans on Thursday (August 26), acting chief of the defense staff General Wayne Eyre said.
He said Canada had evacuated or facilitated the evacuation of about 3,700 Canadian and Afghan citizens.
But protesters in Toronto wanted those evacuations to resume, saying the deadline didn't offer enough time to help everyone in need.
"Our families are still suffering there... I don't know if my cousins are going to survive this," protester Muska Stanakzai told Reuters. "So we expect them to start the evacuations again and to extend it," she said.
(Production: Mana Rabiee)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None