- Title: Desperate families pressure Mexico's government to find missing people
- Date: 30th August 2021
- Summary: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO (AUGUST 30, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF RELATIVES OF ENFORCED DISAPPEARANCE VICTIMS PAINTING ON THE GROUND OF ZOCALO PLAZA RELATIVE PAINTING WHILE HOLDING PHOTOGRAPH OF DISAPPEARED PERSON RELATIVES OF ENFORCED DISAPPEARANCE VICTIMS PAINTING IN FRONT OF PRESIDENTIAL PALACE RELATIVES CARRYING PHOTOGRAPHS OF DISAPPEARED MAN AROUND THEIR NECKS (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) SISTER OF EDUARDO RAMIREZ AND NIECE OF MARCOS GONZALEZ WHO WERE DISAPPEARED ON NOVEMBER 2020, ARELY RAMIREZ, SAYING: "This is not life. Since that day (of their disappearances) this is not life. We live to look for them, you go to sleep thinking about them, you wake up thinking about them. That is life for us." VARIOUS OF RELATIVES OF ENFORCED DISAPPEARANCE VICTIMS ARRANGING FABRIC ON FLOOR TO FORM LETTERS CLOSE OF HANDWRITING ON FABRIC RELATIVES OF ENFORCED DISAPPEARANCE VICTIMS ARRANGING FABRIC ON FLOOR TO FORM LETTERS (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) EUROPEAN UNION AMBASSADOR TO MEXICO, GAUTIER MIGNOT, SAYING: "It is very moving to see the courage and compromise of women because most of them are women who are leading this fight against adversity. Sometimes they receive threats from some groups who may have partaken in the disappearance of their loved ones. We need to be empathic with those who are waiting for answers, that obliges all of us, even the international community." VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS CHANTING AND HOLDING PICTURES OF ENFORCED DISAPPEARANCE VICTIMS IN FRONT OF PRESIDENTIAL PALACE CHILD STANDING IN FRONT OF BANNER WITH PICTURES OF ENFORCED DISAPPEARANCE VICTIMS (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) MOTHER OF MAN DISAPPEARED ON DECEMBER 2008, YOLANDA MORAN, SAYING: "Unfortunately we cannot blame this administrations (for some of the disappeared), but there are a lot, thousands of disappeared that are on them (the current government) and that they haven't (found). From day one we've offered the president our help because of the experience we've gained during the last 13 years. Because he cannot, his civil guard nor the military haven't been able to finish with the insecurity." VARIOUS OF RELATIVES HOLDING SIGNS
- Embargoed: 13th September 2021 22:14
- Keywords: Gautier Mignot Mexico National Palace Zocalo disappeared protest
- Location: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO
- City: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO
- Country: Mexico
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,South America / Central America,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA001ESH377R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Organizations and relatives of victims of enforced disappearance protested outside the Presidential Palace in Mexico City to commemorate the International Day of the Disappeared on Monday (August 30).
The Movement for our disappeared in Mexico (MNDM), a group formed by various collectives and organizations, asked the Mexican government to search for the more than 90,000 disappeared people in Mexico.
"It is very moving to see the courage and compromise of women because most of them are women who are leading this fight against adversity. Sometimes they receive threats," said the European Union ambassador to Mexico Gautier Mignot.
Relatives also sent a message to the international community asking for disappearance in Mexico to be discussed under Article 33 of the International Convention to include protection against enforced disappearance for everyone.
(Production: Josue Gonzalez, Manuel Carrillo, Nina Lopez)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None