- Title: Kanye West petitions to change name to 'Ye' - Variety
- Date: 26th August 2021
- Summary: NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (FILE - MAY 2, 2016) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** WEST AND KARDASHIAN POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHS AT THE MET BALL LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (FILE - FEBRUARY 9, 2020) (REUTERS) KARDASHIAN AND WEST POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHS AT VANITY FAIR PARTY
- Embargoed: 9th September 2021 11:44
- Keywords: Donda Kanye West Kanye Ye Kanye name change Kanye name petition Ye
- Location: VARIOUS
- City: VARIOUS
- Country: Various
- Topics: Celebrities,Arts/Culture/Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA003ERX1LJH
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Kanye West is petitioning to legally change his name to "Ye", Variety reported on Wednesday (August 25), citing legal documents the trade magazine said it had obtained.
According to Variety West wrote in the court documents he wanted to change his name for "personal reasons" but provided no further explanation.
In order for West's petition to be approved he needs a sign off from a California judge, Variety said, adding that in many cases a name change must be published in several newspapers.
The 44-year-old musician is due to release his 10th solo studio album "Donda" imminently.
"Donda", which was due out in late July and then early August, is a part gospel, part ballad, part rap album and contains collaborations with the likes of Jay-Z, Travis Scott, Lil Baby and Roddy Ricch.
The album, named after West's late mother Donda West, follows 2019's Grammy Award winning "Jesus is King".
(Production: Hanna Rantala)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None