- Title: Kremlin critic Navalny's spokeswoman leaves Russia - Interfax
- Date: 30th August 2021
- Summary: MOSCOW, RUSSIA (FILE - AUGUST 16, 2021) (REUTERS) MEDIA OUTSIDE COURT YARMYSH APPROACHES MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) ALEXEI NAVALNY'S SPOKESPERSON, KIRA YARMYSH, SAYING: "Of course I do not agree that I am guilty, and I did not agree with that in the court. The only thing I would change if I could go back in time seven months, I would have written more Tweets urging people to come to the rallies." MEDIA AROUND YARMYSH
- Embargoed: 13th September 2021 15:28
- Keywords: Kremlin critic Navalny ally Yarmysh
- Location: MOSCOW AND OMSK, RUSSIA
- City: MOSCOW AND OMSK, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Europe,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA006ESH303R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Kira Yarmysh, the spokeswoman for jailed Kremlin critic Alexei Navalny, has left Russia, the Interfax news agency reported on Monday (August 30), citing two anonymous sources.
One of the sources said Yarmysh has flown to the Finnish capital Helsinki. Yarmysh did not immediately reply to a request for comment.
A Russian court imposed 18 months of restrictions on her freedom of movement earlier this month, after finding her guilty of breaching COVID-19 safety rules.
Russian authorities have cracked down hard on the opposition before a parliamentary election next month, and many of Navalny's most prominent allies have left Russia rather than face restrictions or jail at home.
The court ruling banned Yarmysh from leaving her home at night, from taking part in rallies, and from changing her home address without first notifying prison authorities.
She was found guilty of breaching COVID-19 safety rules over what police said was an illegal protest in support of Navalny last winter. She has said the charge was politically motivated and has appealed.
Navalny is serving 2-1/2 years in jail for parole violations in an embezzlement case he says was trumped up. Navalny's allies accuse the authorities of using the law to crush dissenting voices.
(Production: Anastasia Adasheva)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None