- Title: Red and wrinkled, Spain's 'ugliest tomato' takes prize ham
- Date: 12th September 2021
- Summary: TUDELA, SPAIN (SEPTEMBER 12, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PEOPLE SHOWING UGLY TOMATOES UGLY TOMATOES WITH NUMBERS FOR POPULAR VOTING VARIOUS OF PARTICIPANTS OF COMPETITION â€œUGLY TOMATO OF TUDELAâ€ WAITING WITH TOMATOES PARTICIPANT GIVING TOMATOES FOR COMPETITION MAN CARRYING TRAY WITH TOMATOES (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) â€œUGLY TOMATO DE TUDELAâ€ AWARD PARTICIPANT SANTOS MARTINEZ, SAYING: "They come out ugly because we have some bees that germinate it. They take the pollen from one place to the other but in this case something went wrong." (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) â€œUGLY TOMATO DE TUDELAâ€ AWARD PARTICIPANTS SERGIO AND ANDREA, SAYING: â€œWe have a vegetable garden but this year we didnâ€™t plant the ugly variety. We have planted other types of tomatoes. But we wanted to come because we come every year, so a friend gave us this tomato." VARIOUS OF PEOPLE VOTING THE UGLIEST TOMATO UGLY TOMATOES ORGANISER OF COMPETITION LUIS SALCEDO ANNOUNCING WINNER OF â€œUGLY TOMATO OF TUDELAâ€ COMPETITION, WINNER APPLAUDING WINNER MARISOL DIAZ GETTING THE PRIZE, IBERIAN HAM, AND SAYING (Spanish) â€œI did not expect it, it has made us very excitedâ€ (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) â€œUGLY TOMATO DE TUDELAâ€ AWARD WINNERS MARISOL DIEZ AND VICENTE MARTINEZ SAYING WHEN JOURNALIST ASK IF IT IS A MATTER OF LUCK: MARISOL MARTINEZ: "Yes, we did not grow ugly ones to come to the contest. An ugly lot came out and that was it.â€ VICENTE MARTINEZ: "They come out by chance, the ugly ones come out by chance.â€ MAN CARRYING TOMATOES JURY TASTING TOMATOES MAN CUTTING TOMATO JURY SMELLING TOMATOES JURY POSING WITH TOMATOES
- Embargoed: 26th September 2021 16:00
- Keywords: Navarra Spain Tudela competition prize ugliest tomato ugly tomato
- Location: TUDELA, SPAIN
- City: TUDELA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Company News Markets,Europe,Economic Events
- Reuters ID: LVA001EUEZ32F
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Spain's 'ugliest tomato' award, celebrated every year in northern Tudela, filled farmers with joy and gave a Spanish family an Iberian ham.
Dozens of ugly tomatoes competed for the award of this 14th edition, decided by a popular jury.
The type of tomato, known as "Ugly tomato of Tudela", is an old tomato of the Marmande variety that is grown mainly in the Navarre region.
Some of this variety ends up twisted rather than round and smooth.
Participants said they got the ugly tomatoes by luck, while others blamed the failed pollination of bees for the result.
The competition also includes a tasting of quality and flavour of 'normal' tomatoes.
(Production: Vincent West, Elena Rodriguez)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None