- Title: A hookah in a glass, Jeruslam's new take-away solution
- Date: 26th September 2021
- Summary: JERUSALEM (SEPTEMBER 17, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF DRIVING SHOTS OF A YOUNG MAN ON A MOTORCYCLE HOLDING A TAKE-AWAY HOOKAH, PRODUCED USING A PLASTIC GLASS AND A STRAW. VARIOUS OF YOUNG MEN SITTING ON BUS STATION BENCH TO SMOKE THEIR HOOKAH, WITH MAN PLACING PIECES OF CHARCOAL ON THE ALUMINIUM SHEET COVERING THE PLASTIC GLASS TWO MEN TALKING TO EACH OTHER (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) CUSTOMER OF 'THE SMOKER'S CORNER' TOBACCO SHOP THAT OFFERS TAKE-AWAY HOOKAH, MOHAMMED TAWEEL, SAYING: "Honestly, I've tried many hookahs but I have never tried something as good as this. It is really good and instead of me going to cafes, not knowing who used it before me and worrying about the coronavirus virus, I would rather buy this hookah from 'the Smoker's Corner', it is not expensive, only 20 Shekels (6.25 USD) and you can take it on the road. I carry it on my motorcycle and go wherever I want." VARIOUS OF YOUNG MEN SMOKING TAKE-AWAY HOOKAH VARIOUS OF OWNER OF TOBACCO SHOP WHO CREATED TAKE-OUT HOOKAH, MOHAMMED QARAEEN, PREPARING HOOKAH, USING FRUITS AND PLASTIC GLASSES (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) OWNER OF TOBACCO SHOP WHO CREATED TAKE-OUT HOOKAH, MOHAMMED QARAEEN, SAYING: "There was a lockdown and people had nowhere to go to smoke hookah so this was the only solution for customers to take their hookah, carry it in their hand and go enjoy it in open areas. There were a lot of turnouts. The coronavirus helped me to make this project happen and become popular." WORKER AT TOBACCO SHOP ADDING COAL ON TAKE-AWAY HOOKAH FOR CUSTOMER AND CUSTOMER SMOKING HOOKAH CUSTOMER OF 'THE SMOKER'S CORNER' TOBACCO SHOP THAT OFFERS TAKE AWAY HOOKAH, MOHAMMED MAHFOUZ, SMOKING HOOKAH / MAHFOUZ SAYING (ARABIC): "This is a delicious hookah." (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) CUSTOMER OF 'THE SMOKER'S CORNER' TOBACCO SHOP THAT OFFERS TAKE-AWAY HOOKAH, MOHAMMED MAHFOUZ, SAYING: "This is an excellent hookah, because we are passing through a period with the coronavirus, it is better to avoid going to cafes. So this is take-away that you can take wherever you want, to your home, and you stay away from people." VARIOUS OF MEN BUYING TAKE-AWAY HOOKAH FROM TOBACCO SHOP YOUNG MEN ON MOTORCYCLE SMOKING HOOKAH AND DRIVING AWAY (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) OWNER OF TOBACCO SHOP WHO CREATED TAKE-OUT HOOKAH, MOHAMMED QARAEEN, SAYING: (SHOT ENDING WITH PAN ON HOOKAH INGREDIENTS) "The idea on my (Facebook) page got a lot of attention and people were wondering how I made a hookah out of a cup and a lemon. It got sold a lot and people were happy with it. There is more than one flavor, whichever flavor you like you get to choose. Also, the hookah lasts long and the tobacco doesn't burn out too fast. They all take their hookah and walk on the street, on the beach, these are better hangouts than sitting in cafes and the virus would spread." VIEW OF TAKE-AWAY HOOKAH / SHOP EMPLOYEE SMOKING HOOKAH SHOP EMPLOYEE SMOKING HOOKAH VIEW OF TAKE-AWAY HOOKAH
- Embargoed: 10th October 2021 14:36
- Keywords: Coronavirus Jerusalem Shisha Smoking Take-away hookah
- Location: JERUSALEM
- City: JERUSALEM
- Country: Jerusalem
- Topics: Arts/Culture/Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA001EWCWGNP
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:As the coronavirus forced popular hookah cafes to close down in the city of Jerusalem, 33-year-old Palestinian, Mohammed Qaraeen grabbed the opportunity to design what has now become his signature take-away hookah.
Using fresh fruit and a plastic cup, the owner of the 'Smoker's Corner' tobacco shop designed a portable hookah that customers can simply carry away in their hands and enjoy at home or in open spaces.
Although cafes have now reopened, Qaraeen's take-away hookah remains popular, he said. Mohammed Taweel, one of his customers, said it was not only useful in times of the coronavirus but also cheap and easy to carry.
Qaraeen sells his take-away hookah for 20 Shekels (6.25 USD) and customers can choose among a variety of flavours.
The percentage of smokers among the 18-29 age group reached about 29 percent in the West Bank and ten percent in Gaza Strip in 2020, according to the Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics.
(Production: Ammar Awad, Suheir Sheikh)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None