- Title: Djokovic pulls out of Indian Wells
- Date: 29th September 2021
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK (FILE - NOVEMBER 8, 2019) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF DJOKOVIC TRAINING AHEAD OF THE 2019 ATP FINALS BELGRADE, SERBIA (FILE - JUNE 19, 2019) (REUTERS) DJOKOVIC TRAINING BELGRADE, SERBIA (FILE - JULY 20, 2021) (REUTERS) DJOKOVIC GOING UP ESCALATOR AT AIRPORT DJOKOVIC APPLAUDING AFTER END OF SERBIAN NATIONAL ANTHEM DJOKOVIC LEAVING NEWS CONFERENCE
- Embargoed: 13th October 2021 21:05
- Keywords: ATP Tour BNP Paribas Open Indian Wells Masters 1000 Novak Djokovic
- Location: INTERNET / LONDON, ENGLAND, UK / BELGRADE SERBIA
- City: INTERNET / LONDON, ENGLAND, UK / BELGRADE SERBIA
- Country: USA
- Topics: Sport,Tennis,United States
- Reuters ID: LVA002EWRXQNZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: World number one Novak Djokovic has withdrawn from next month's Indian Wells tournament, organisers said on Wednesday (September 29).
"I am sorry I won't get to see my fans in Indian Wells and play in the desert, my favourite place to go. I hope to see you next year!," Djokovic said in a statement.
The 34-year-old Serbian came up short this month in his bid for a calendar Grand Slam, losing in straight sets to Russian Daniil Medvedev in the U.S. Open final. He is tied with Roger Federer for the most Indian Wells titles, with each having won five.
Djokovic is the latest marquee name to withdraw from the tournament, with 2018 women's champion Naomi Osaka, world number one Ash Barty and Serena Williams also sitting out.
(Production: Stefan Haskins)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None