- Title: France to decide on retaliation against UK over fishing rights within 15 days
- Date: 29th September 2021
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (SEPTEMBER 29, 2021) (REUTERS) MEETING BETWEEN FRENCH MARITIME MINISTRY AND FISHERMEN IN PROGRESS MARITIME MINISTER ANNICK GIRARDIN VARIOUS OF MEETING IN PROGRESS VARIOUS OF GIRARDIN MAKING NOTES GIRARDIN SPEAKING TO MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (French) MARITIME MINISTER ANNICK GIRARDIN SAYING: "We stand together, the fishing sector, the government, the regions, hope for a strong response today, to ask and put in place the retaliatory measures which are planned in the agreement, European retaliatory measures, and I count on other European countries to ask for the same thing as France, because what France is going through they will go through the same thing, the same bad will from Britain which will not be expressed only on this issue."
- Embargoed: 13th October 2021 16:30
- Keywords: Brexit France UK fishing
- Location: VARIOUS LOCATIONS, FRANCE
- City: VARIOUS LOCATIONS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Europe,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001EWRXCG7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: France will decide within 15 days on possible retaliation against Britain at the French and European Union level over the fishing rights dispute, French maritime minister Annick Girardin said on Wednesday (September 29).
Girardin also told reporters sanctions could involve energy supplies as well as British students in France.
France accused on Wednesday Britain of playing politics with post-Brexit fishing rights after London and the Channel Island of Jersey refused dozens of French fishing boats licences to operate in their territorial waters.
(Production: Yiming Woo, Clotaire Achi)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None