- Title: George and Amal Clooney loved up at London premiere of 'The Tender Bar'
- Date: 10th October 2021
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (OCTOBER 10, 2021) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** (SOUNDBITE) (English) FILMMAKER, GEORGE CLOONEY, ON CASTING BEN AFFLECK, SAYING: "He was the cheapest. He was by far the cheapest. And you know, he's, you know, things weren't going well for him because, you know, all the gambling and stuff. No, you know, he was exactly the right actor and he's a friend. And, you know, we looked and I thought 'well, this guy's...really this character is really smart and he's a bit of a goofball and Ben is all of those things'. And I thought 'this is a time, it would be something for him to shine in'. And he has. It's just, it's really fun. It's exciting to work with somebody when they're in something they know they can do well." RABE ARRIVING ON RED CARPET AND POSING FOR PHOTOS RABE POSING FOR PHOTOS MAKE-UP ARTIST AND FOUNDER-PRESIDENT OF SKINCARE BRAND CHARLOTTE TILBURY BEAUTY, CHARLOTTE TILBURY, POSING FOR PHOTOS CLOONEY SPEAKING WITH REPORTERS WITH ACTOR CHARLES DANCE POSING FOR PHOTOS IN BACKGROUND VARIOUS OF CHARLES DANCE ON RED CARPET AND ENTERING BUILDING FOR SCREENING CLOONEY SPEAKING WITH REPORTERS AMAL CLOONEY SPEAKING WITH GUESTS INCLUDING PHOTOGRAPHER MISAN HARRIMAN (SCREEN LEFT) A FRIEND OF PRINCE HARRY AND HIS WIFE MEGHAN AND WHO TOOK THE PHOTOS USED TO ANNOUNCE MEGHAN'S PREGNANCY EARLIER IN 2021 GEORGE CLOONEY SPEAKING WITH REPORTERS (SOUNDBITE) (English) FILMMAKER, GEORGE CLOONEY, ON WHETHER HE INTRODUCED AUTHOR J.R. MOEHRINGER TO PRINCE HARRY AND IF MOEHRINGER IS GHOSTWRITING HARRY'S MEMOIR, SAYING: "I didn't even know it until somebody just told me on the line today. So you know, who knew?" PHOTOGRAPHERS VARIOUS OF GEORGE AND AMAL CLOONEY POSING FOR PHOTOS AND LEAVING
- Embargoed: 24th October 2021 22:58
- Keywords: Ben Affleck Clooney London premiere George Clooney The Tender Bar Tye Sheridan tender bar london premiere
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM AND VARIOUS FILM LOCATIONS
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM AND VARIOUS FILM LOCATIONS
- Country: UK
- Topics: Arts/Culture/Entertainment,Europe,Film
- Reuters ID: LVA003EYKQSST
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:George Clooney is back behind the camera for "The Tender Bar", a coming-of-age story starring Ben Affleck and Tye Sheridan.
"The Tender Bar", Clooney's eighth feature film as director, is based on the memoirs of American author J.R. Moehringer, who found substitutes for his absent father at his Uncle Charlie's (Affleck) New York Bar.
"It was nice. It was gentle. It was kind, and I don't often do films like that," Clooney told Reuters on Sunday (October 10), as he premiered the movie at the London Film Festival.
"I wanted to have something that didn't necessarily reflect all the things that we've been going through. I wanted to have something that reminded us that we all kind of like each other in general."
The film sees JR, played by Sheridan and new-comer Daniel Ranieri, being taken under the wing of his barman uncle and finding shelter in his establishment. Influenced by the stories told by the bar's colourful cast of patrons and many a drink poured, he matures from an insecure boy into an acclaimed writer.
Casting his friend Affleck as the larger-than-life Uncle Charlie was a no-brainer, said Clooney.
"This character is really smart and he's a bit of a goofball and Ben is all of those things. And I thought 'this is a time, it would be something for him to shine in'. And he has."
Affleck, who appeared on the red carpet in New York on Saturday (October 9) for his new blockbuster "The Last Duel" did not attend the London premiere on Sunday.
Clooney turned 60 in May and said the milestone had made him re-evaluate his priorities.
"Sixty changes the dynamic a little bit. Amal and I talk about it all the time, you know, 60 is an age where you go 'OK, well, let's make sure that we are doing all the things that are important, the things that we love, the things that make us happy'. It doesn't mean not working because working is really important to both of us, but also making sure that we also spend time with each other and with our family."
"The Tender Bar" is set to get a limited release in U.S. cinemas from December 17 and start streaming globally on Amazon Prime on January 7, 2022.
The film, produced by Clooney's partner Grant Heslov, also stars Christopher Lloyd (Dr. Emmett Brown in the "Back to the Future" films) and Lily Rabe as JR's single mother.
Moehringer, meanwhile, is reportedly helping Britain's Prince Harry write a memoir about his life which is due to be published in late 2022. Clooney, a friend of Harry's, played down any suggestion he had a part in setting the two up.
"I didn't even know it until somebody just told me on the line today. So you know, who knew?" he said of the book.
(Production: Will Russell, Hanna Rantala)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None