- Title: Death penalty opponents arrested at Supreme Court
- Date: 17th January 2017
- Summary: VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS SINGING IN FRONT OF WHITE HOUSE
- Embargoed: 31st January 2017 18:12
- Keywords: death penalty protest Supreme Court protest death penalty anniversary
- Location: WASHINGTON, DC, UNITED STATES
- City: WASHINGTON, DC, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice
- Reuters ID: LVA0045ZH0RIF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:At least 10 death penalty opponents were arrested at the Supreme Court on Tuesday (January 17, 2017) after protesting a decision by the U.S. high court to reinstate the death penalty 40 years ago.
Participants displayed a 30-foot (9 meters) long banner and forty posters - each poster listing by year the names of all the men and women executed in the United States since 1977. In 1976, the Supreme Court upheld the constitutionality of the death penalty after a nearly 10 year moratorium.
The number of U.S. executions in 2016 was 20, the lowest since 1991, according to the study from the Death Penalty Information Center, which monitors capital punishment.
While 31 states have the death penalty, only five held executions in 2016. Georgia carried out the most at nine while Texas was next at seven, it said.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.