- Title: A look back at 'La La Land's journey to awards glory
- Date: 25th January 2017
- Summary: TORONTO, ONTARIO, CANADA (SEPTEMBER 13, 2016) (REUTERS) **** WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY **** VARIOUS OF 'LA LA LAND' CAST TALKING TO MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTOR EMMA STONE SAYING: How did it stretch me? I learned to tap and ballroom dance and sing live on camera which was pretty insane. In lots of ways, it was a great challenge and it was lots of fun and everybody was so supportive. It was just a really great experiences. There were just a lot of new challenges and a lot of new things I learned." PRODUCER AND ACTOR JOHN LEGEND TALKING TO MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTOR RYAN GOSLING SAYING: "It's a great story and they're great engaging characters and the music kind of aids in that but it's not something you have to love musicals to enjoy the film." LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (NOVEMBER 16, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF RED CARPET AT 'LA LA LAND' GALA SCREENING AT AFI FILM FESTIVAL EMMA STONE TALKING TO MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTOR EMMA STONE SAYING: I think just having worked with him (Ryan Gosling) before made it so easy. You know, it's nice to learn to do all this kind of dancing and singing with someone that you know well. It's less embarrassing that way I think." DAMIEN CHAZELLE AND JUSTIN HURWITZ TALKING TO MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (English) COMPOSER JUSTIN HURWITZ SAYING: "You know there were a couple of songs that were performed live on set so Emma's big song, Audition, she performed that live on set. It was a huge undertaking and really brace of her but the song is so magical because of it as well as City of Stars, the duet that they sing together was performed live. The fact that they put themselves in front of the camera like that with no safety net, they knew the songs through and through but the way they just sort of let an authentic performance happen on camera was really a special process and I think you can see it on screen."" EMMA STONE TALKING TO MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (English) DIRECTOR DAMIEN CHAZELLE SAYING: "That's an understatement. (Their chemistry) It's like the greatest special effect you can have you know? And it's just putting them together in a frame, they create something that is impossible to even to describe but it's something I knew we needed for this movie to reallyâ€¦ the sell people on a musical these days and I think they do just that." LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (DECEMBER 9, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF 'LA LA LAND' PREMIERE SIGNAGE RYAN GOSLING POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS EMMA STONE POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS (SOUNDBITE) ACTOR EMMA STONE SAYING: "This is my favorite thing that Ryan has ever done ever, I love watching him in this movie, he's unbelievable." (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTOR RYAN GOSLING SAYING: "You know, she's just... there's nothing she can't do so that's a pleasure to watch." (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTOR EMMA STONE SAYING: "It's wonderful. It's a really, really amazing feeling. You hope to be part of something that affects people in a positive way or touches them deeply so it's just the best." LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (DECEMBER 7, 2016) (REUTERS) EMMA STONE AND RYAN GOSLING GETTING UP ON STAGE AT HAND AND FEET CEREMONY (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTOR EMMA STONE SAYING: "I guess I'll start. I wasn't aware until a moment ago, this is embarrassing, I thought that maybe this was kind of the thing where you come and you put your handprints in the cement and then they take them away and they out them up somewhere and I was just told that they're gig to stay here." (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTOR RYAN GOSLING SAYING: "I'm still, I guess, not completely convinced that we're not going to be arrested for vandalism. I'm going to take your word for it that we're allowed to do this." EMMA STONE AND RYAN GOSLING PUTTING HANDS IN CEMENT EMMA STONE AND RYAN GOSLING HOLDING HANDS UP TO SHOW PHOTOGRAPHERS EMMA STONE AND RYAN GOSLING POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS EMMA STONE AND RYAN GOSLING'S HANDS AND FEET IMPRESSIONS IN CEMENT DIRECTOR DAMIEN CHAZELLE, EMMA STONE AND RYAN GOSLING POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (JANUARY 10, 2017) (REUTERS) ACTORS SOPHIE TURNER AND DOMINIC COOPER ARRIVING ON STAGE TO ANNOUNCE BAFTA NOMINEES ACTOR DOMINIC COOPER ANNOUNCING BEST FILM NOMINEES
- Embargoed: 8th February 2017 00:23
- Keywords: La La Land Emma Stone Ryan Gosling Damien Chazelle Justi Hurwitz premiere Venice Film Festival Toronto Film Festival Los Angeles Hollywood BAFTA Oscars Golden Globes nominations
- Location: VENICE, ITALY / TORONTO, ONTARIO, CANADA / LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES / LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM / BEVERLY HILLS, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES / UNIDENTIFIED FILMING LOCATIONS
- City: VENICE, ITALY / TORONTO, ONTARIO, CANADA / LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES / LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM / BEVERLY HILLS, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES / UNIDENTIFIED FILMING LOCATIONS
- Country: USA
- Topics: Arts/Culture/Entertainment,Film
- Reuters ID: LVA00360FZSY5
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The last six months have been a promotional whirlwind for "La La Land."
Ever since the film about a musician and an aspiring actress who meet and fall in love in Los Angeles premiered at the Venice Film Festival in August of 2016 it's been a Hollywood fairytale come true for the cast, crew and the film's director, Damien Chazelle.
After its debut in Europe, "La La Land" went on to wow audiences at, among others, the Toronto Film Festival, received two premieres in Los Angeles itself, saw Stone and Gosling place their hands and feet in cement outside the iconic Chinese Theatre in Hollywood and go on to garner an avalanche of accolades from Critics Choice Awards and Golden Globes to BAFTA nods.
Tuesday (January 24) "La La Land" added a record-tying fourteen Oscar nominations including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor and Best Actress.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None