- Title: U.S.A.: RESIDENTS OF MIAMI FLEE AS HURRICANE DAVID HITS MAINLAND U.S.A.
- Date: 3rd September 1979
- Summary: 1. AV Miami 0.03 2. SV People being evacuated onto coast (3 shots) 0.18 3. GV & SV People in rescue centre (4 shots) 0.29 4. (SOUND) GV Cars leaving 0.35 5. SV Police advising people on where to go 0.40 6. SV People boarding buses to leave Miami area (3 shots) 0.50 7. SV PAN People packing up possessions and loading into moving vans 1.02 Initials BB TELERECORDING Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 18th September 1979 13:00
- Location: MIAMI, FLORIDA, U.S.A.
- Country: USA
- Reuters ID: LVAF2GQJG6RJHS8RPWHZL3CQ3AD6
- Story Text: People in the southern U.S. states are bracing themselves for the onslaught of one of the most vicious storms to ever come out of the Caribbean. Hurricane David is on track to hit the resort city of Miami, Florida, and the residents there are not taking any chances, many are fleeing the city to safer surroundings.
SYNOPSIS: The hurricane has already cut a swathe of death and destruction across the eastern Caribbean, and now it is bearing down upon the Florida Panhandle. Over the weekend it slammed into several Caribbean islands, killing hundreds of people and causing extensive damage. The island of Dominica was probably the most severely struck, reports say that nearly every house in the country was damaged. However, the people of southern Florida have no intention of letting the hurricane inflict any casualties upon them. Thousands of cars are clogging motorways leaving the Miami area.
Any forms of transportation away from the hurricane's predicted route are cramped. Three people have already been killed in evacuation related accidents. The U.S. National Hurricane Centre says the storm is losing some of its deadly force, however the winds associated with it are still thought to he somewhere in the neighbourhood of one hundred miles (160 kms) per hour, and moving up the Florida coast at about 12 miles per hour (19 k.p.h.). There is also another hurricane building up in the Caribbean -- Hurricane Frederick.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None