- Title: FILE: George Michael receives medical treatment following car crash
- Date: 17th May 2013
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK (FILE-MAY 11, 2011) (REUTERS) GEORGE MICHAEL WALKS INTO NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (English) SINGER GEORGE MICHAEL, ON SINGING WITH SYMPHONY ORCHESTRAS, SAYING: "I had actually heard that Tony Bennett had done it recently and I thought what a lovely idea to actually go to various places around the world and play with those symphony orchestras." LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE - OCTOBER 25, 2011) (REUTERS) GEORGE MICHAEL WALKING PAST REPORTERS BACKSTAGE
- Embargoed: 1st June 2013 13:00
- Location: Austria, United Kingdom
- Country: Austria United Kingdom
- Topics: Accidents,Entertainment,People
- Reuters ID: LVA20PPW2WNCWU4PTDSQA5CJDG5Z
- Story Text: British singer George Michael has received medical treatment after a car crash on Thursday(May 16) according to his publicist, Connie Filippello.
The 49-year-old former Wham! frontman was being treated for "minor cuts and bruises" after the accident.
"George Michael was a passenger in a vehicle involved in a traffic accident yesterday evening, no third party was involved," said Filppello's office via a statement on Friday (May 17). "He is being treated for superficial cuts and bruises but is fine."
British media reported that the accident occurred just outside London on a motorway during rush hour.
The "Careless Whisper" singer has suffered a string of accidents and health scares recently.
Last year he cancelled his tour of Australia due to "major anxiety" brought on by a 2011 battle with severe pneumonia in Vienna, where he was treated in intensive care for a month for a life-threatening illness.
Michael has sold an estimated 100 million records over his career, but has hit headlines in recent years for his personal life more often than for his music.
In 1998 he was arrested in California for "engaging in a lewd act" in a public toilet and also had a number of run-ins with British police for possession of narcotics. He served a term in jail for driving under the influence of cannabis.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None