- Title: USA: Antonio Banderas attends premiere of his new action film, 'Desperado'
- Date: 22nd October 1994
- Summary: (REUTERS) BANDERAS TALKS ABOUT SAFETY ON THE SET RODRIGUEZ EXPLAINS WHY HE CHOSE BANDERAS AS THE MARIACHI HAYEK DESCRIBES ALL THE GUNFIRE ON THE SET
- Embargoed: 6th November 1994 12:00
- Location: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES, AND FILM LOCATIONS
- Country: USA
- Reuters ID: LVADLMEH5LYDZXK7YEZ2HIAVYXWJ
- Story Text: Antonio Banderas, the actor who has been dubbed "the new Valentino", attended the premiere of his new action film "Desperado" accompanied by actress Melanie Griffiths. The pair have been romantically linked in the headlines recently. Griffiths has just divorced her husband, actor Don Johnson.
"Desperado" is a sequel to the low-budget film "El Mariachi." Both were directed by young filmmaker Robert Rodriguez.
"Desperado" co-stars Salma Hayek, Steve Buscemi, Cheech Marin, and Joaquim de Almeida. It also features a cameo by Oscar-winning writer-director Quentin Tarantino, who happens to be good friends with Rodriguez.
The film tells the tale of a mysterious mariachi who wanders the backwaters of Mexico seeking vengance for the death of his lover, which happened in the first film.
It's an extremely violent film, but Rodriguez claims the humor and cartoonish nature of the violence lessens its impact.
Until now, Banderas was best known for his widely-varied films shot outside of the Hollywood system and some supporting roles in big budget films. Most recently, he starred in "Interview With The Vampire," and "Philadelphia."
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None