- Title: UNITED KINGDOM: 'X-Files- I want to believe' finally comes to London
- Date: 7th August 2008
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (JULY 30, 2008) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF CINEMA WHERE PREMIERE IS TAKING PLACE FAN HOLDING UP POSTER OF UFO WITH 'I WANT TO BELIEVE' WRITTEN ON IT / SECOND FAN HOLDING UP POSTER WITH 'I SAW ELVIS IN A POTATO CHIP' FAN HOLDING PHOTO OF MULDER AND SCULLY KISSING GERMAN FANS IN CROWD WAVING THEIR FLAGS GERMAN FANS CHEERING FOR CAMERA (SOUNDBITE) (German) SUSANNE, FAN, SAYING: REPORTER SAYING: Here we are again! SUSANNE: "Yeah!" REPORTER: And again you made it into the first row! SUSANNE: "Yes! We've been here since 8.30 am" REPORTER: What are you hoping for tonight? SUSANNE: "Autographs. And to see them live! We've admired them on TV for 9 years and now we want to see them in the flesh!" (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish), FAN NOELIA FROM MADRID, SAYING: "We have been fans for ages, we're all friends here and it's dream for us to be here."
- Embargoed: 22nd August 2008 13:00
- Location: United Kingdom
- Country: United Kingdom
- Reuters ID: LVA4M4Z7W3RKQ6910M4YD414NMOL
- Story Text: Already out in the US and Mainland Europe, "The X-Files: I want to believe" has finally come to Britain where it will l make its debut in cinemas on August 1.
Some European hardcore fans who didn't get their red carpet event in their own countries travelled all the way to London to catch a glimpse at their heroes. A group of German fans has been in the UK capital since Tuesday (July 29) when they already attended a meet and greet event with X-Files director Chris Carter.
They were thrilled to be in Leicester Square and made sure they got a good spot: "We've been here since 8.30 am and we're hoping to get autographs and to see them live! We've admired them on TV for 9 years and now we want to see them in the flesh!," said Susanne, a German fan.
The long awaited film reunites television series stars David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson on the silver screen for a second time in a supernatural thriller that is a stand-alone story in the tradition of some of the show's most acclaimed and beloved episodes. In the film, the complicated relationship between Fox Mulder (Duchovny) and Dana Scully (Anderson) takes unexpected turns. Mulder continues his unshakeable quest for the truth, while Scully, the passionate, ferociously intelligent physician, remains inextricably tied to Mulder's pursuits.
Anderson, who lives in London, said she was blown away by the crowds, greeting her: "I don't face this when I walk outside the door everyday, I'm not familiar with this this is quite exceptional."
She added that slipping back into the role of Scully after 6 years wasn't all that easy:
"No no it was actually kind of difficult. I was expecting it to be a lot easier than it was and you know eventually we got there in the end but I thought it was gonna be easier."
The film hasn't performed as well at the box office as hoped and according to director Chris Carter this had a ll to do with aliens... or the absence of.
"I think there are some people who wanted aliens and we didn't give them aliens and I think that's some disappointment to some people but really this show is about much more than the alien conspiracy extra terrestrials if you will, it's really about good scary stories, and mostly about Mulder and Scully."
Anderson, who will be celebrating her 40th birthday this year and is also due to give birth to her third child in October said, she was looking forward to the milestone birthday:
"I'm actually kind of excited about it I'm excited to be of an age where for whatever reason I can let myself off the hook a bit more in various areas and I feel much more relaxed than I have in previous years and I'm kind of excited about it, I'm not hiding it at all."
The film is released in cinemas across the UK on August 1.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.