- Title: WEST GERMANY: BOMBS BLAST OFFICES OF UNITED STATES ARMY CORPS IN FRANKFURT.
- Date: 1st June 1976
- Summary: 1. SV Police vehicles 0.03 2. SV INT Security men 0.08 3. SV PAN Broken office windows (2 shots) 0.18 4. SV Police vehicle 0.22 5. SVs Shattered windows (2 shots) 0.29 6. GV Fire engine 0.30 7. GV PAN Broken windows 0.35 8. GV INT Debris 0.38 9. SV Newsmen 0.40 10. GV & SVs INT Damaged building (4 shots) 1.04 Initials BB/0255 MF/DK/BB/0315 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 16th June 1976 13:00
- Location: FRANKFURT, WEST GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Reuters ID: LVABVD3W1VGYV9477PVBUR94WS5X
- Story Text: Two bombs blasted offices of the fifth United States Army Corps in central Frankfurt, West Germany, on Tuesday (1 June) -- coinciding with the fourth anniversary of the arrest of alleged West German urban guerrilla leader Andreas Baadar.
A U.S. army spokesman quoted by Reuters said the explosions injured 16 people, including an American woman soldier who was seriously hurt.
The casualties included 10 civilians. Most were hit by flying glass and metal splinters and four were released after treatment.
According to Reuters, police rounded up three men on suspicion of planting the bombs, but they refused to give any other details.
The bombs went off in the early afternoon, in a public wing of the ground floor and a staircase leading to an officer's club, which adjoins the six-storey building.
Immediately after the attack, the united States military police cleared the 900-room main building and screened it for more bombs.
Andreas Baader is one of three surviving members of the alleged Baader-Meinhof group now on trial in Stuttgart facing a range of charges which include a 1972 bomb attack on the same U.S. army building in Frankfurt.
Ulricke Meinhof, alleged co-leader to the group, was found hanged in her cell in Stuttgart last month in mid-trial. her death prompted revenge threats from left-wing West German militants.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None