- Title: MEXICO: Mexican authorities burn 7.5 tonnes of cocaine
- Date: 4th August 2009
- Summary: HUATULCO, OAXACA, MEXICO (AUGUST 04, 2009) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF BAY OF HUATULCO VARIOUS OF DRUGS BEING UNLOADED VARIOUS OF DRUGS LAID OUT IN PREPARATION FOR BURN VARIOUS OF TROOPS IN FORMATION TROOPS GUARDING DRUGS VARIOUS OF GASOLINE BEING POURED ON DRUGS VARIOUS OF DRUGS BURNING
- Embargoed: 19th August 2009 13:00
- Location: Mexico
- Country: Mexico
- Reuters ID: LVA9J2GER03HCOA912537LHUMKTT
- Story Text: Mexican authorities burn 7.5 tonnes of cocaine confiscated in the Pacific in July.
Mexican authorities burned on Tuesday (August 04) some 7.5 tones of cocaine confiscated in July on the Pacific Ocean.
This haul brings the amount of cocaine confiscated in the Pacific over the past year to over 25 tonnes.
Authorities discovered the drugs when they intercepted two boats in the ocean on July 18 and 19, said Second Naval Vice Admiral Jose Maria Ortegon Cisneros.
Ortegon added that there is a permanent watch in the Pacific Ocean for drug trafficking which has been recently reinforced.
He added that did not know the destination of the cocaine, but speculated it could have been coming to the Oaxacan coast from Colombia.
Three Mexicans and two Colombians were arrested in the operation.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None